Obama leads McCain 50 to 42 percent in new Gallup pollSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 2:29 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sept.3 (ANI): Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has acquired an eight point lead over Republican rival John McCain, and for the first time cracked the 50 percent milestone in the latest Gallup Poll.
This threshold is considered to be a safe number for victory.
According to Gallups Daily Tracking Poll, Obama leads McCain, 50 percent to 42 percent.
McCain is well below his 48 percent top support level, recorded in late April/early May, in a hypothetical match-up against Obama, said Gallup pollster Lydia Saad.
He is just slightly better than the 40 percent he was getting during the Democratic convention last week.
Meanwhile, the percentage of undecided voters is at its lowest since early June at 8 percent.
This, in part, reflects movement of voters toward Obama over the course of the Democratic National Convention, a lead which has been sustained in subsequent days, Saad said.
However, Gallup surmised that 24-hour news coverage of Hurricane Gustav and Mondays news that the unwed 17-year-old daughter of McCains vice presidential pick Sarah Palin is pregnant crowded out traditional coverage of the convention.
Todays numbers included polling from Aug. 30 through Sept. 1. The margin of error is two points in the poll of 2,772 registered voters nationwide. (ANI)
- Obama faces uphill climb, swing states poll indicate - Nov 05, 2011
- Obama, Romney locked in close race: polls - Aug 25, 2012
- Poll: More than 6 in 10 would not vote for Trump, Palin - Apr 27, 2011
- Obama, potential Republican rivals neck-and-neck in 2012 Presidential race - Feb 18, 2011
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- Obama gains six point advantage over Romney: poll - Sep 11, 2012
- Palin's 2012 challenge: To reduce gap between favorable, unfavorable ratings - Nov 19, 2010
- Clinton tops Obama and others in administration: Gallup - Apr 03, 2011
- Latino voters sticking with Obama, Democrats: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Obama has 5 point lead over Romney: Poll - Sep 10, 2012
- Five reasons why Democrats could still turn poll odds and hold House - Nov 02, 2010
- McCain takes lead over Obama in Gallup poll - Sep 08, 2008
- Independents flocking to McCain - Sep 09, 2008
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama's approval rating increases to 46 percent in new Fox News poll - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: daily tracking poll, democratic presidential candidate, democratic presidential candidate barack obama, gallup poll, hurricane gustav, john mccain, mondays news, presidential candidate barack obama, republican rival, sarah palin