Obama faces a ”hornet’’s nest” in the Middle East: ExpertsDecember 3rd, 2008 - 4:41 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec.3 (ANI): US President-elect Barack Obama faces a potential hornets nest in the Middle East when he takes over January 20, experts have warned in a report prepared by a coalition of think tanks.
The Council for Foreign Relations and the Brookings Institution has drafted the report.
According to Richard Hass, one of the authors of the report titled Restoring the Balance, Obama will face the greatest foreign policy challenge from Iran, which on course to producing a nuclear bomb.
Diplomacy is not guaranteed to work. But the other options military action or living with an Iranian weapon are sufficiently unattractive for it to warrant serious commitment, The Times quotes Hass, as saying. Gary Samore, another author, says there is a need for a swift adoption of a previously untested approach.
New administrations can choose new policies but they cant choose next contexts, Samore said.
The report paints a grim picture of the problems in the Middle East, but the experts have urged the new administration not to fall into the trap of treating Iran in isolation to the rest of the Middle East.
The report lays the blame for much of the crisis with the Bush Administration, whose war in Iraq fuelled Irans regional ascendancy. (ANI)
- Clinton says diplomacy with Iran not infinite - Apr 05, 2012
- US-allies plan more sanctions against Iran - Dec 11, 2010
- Six-party talks on Iran n-programme 'positive' (Lead, Correcting day in intro) - Apr 14, 2012
- Six-party talks on Iran n-programme 'positive' - Apr 14, 2012
- Arab opinion on Obama dims in 2010 as compared to 2009 - Aug 05, 2010
- US exempts seven countries from sanctions - Jun 12, 2012
- Egypt crisis: Experts say US will have to put everything on the line now - Feb 11, 2011
- Iran nuclear-programme could start cold war: Hague - Feb 18, 2012
- Trusting Musharraf was a strategic failure: Former CIA analyst - Sep 08, 2011
- WikiLeaks Disclosure: Sarkozy, an emperor sans clothes, Putin, an alpha dog - Nov 29, 2010
- Mid-East experts warn US to take Iran threat to kill generals seriously - Dec 16, 2010
- Iran nuclear threat not imminent, says US - Aug 20, 2010
- No one in Arab world is pro-American anymore, says Middle-East expert - Feb 04, 2011
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- Still a window for diplomacy on Iran: Obama - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: ascendancy, barack obama, brookings institution, bush administration, council for foreign relations, diplomacy, hass, hornet, hornet s nest, hornets, middle east experts, military action, new administration, nuclear bomb, policy challenge, president elect, problems in the middle east, swift adoption, war in iraq, whose war