Obama extends greetings to Sikhs on tercentenary celebrations of Granth SahibOctober 19th, 2008 - 4:38 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Washington, Oct.19 (ANI): U.S Presidential hopeful Barack Obama has extended his congratulations to the Sikh community here on the Tercentenary celebrations of Guruship of Guru Granth Sahib.
Obama, in his letter, addressed to the American Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee, appreciated the opportunity to welcome everyone to the Tercentenary Celebration of the Guruship of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, hosted by the American Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee.
This event provides a wonderful opportunity to celebrate this significant and memorable milestone in Sikh history and culture. Throughout the world, Sikh communities are celebrating the tercentenary of the Guruship of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Obama said.
Obama stated: Sri Guru Granth Sahib is considered the universal spiritual leader and guiding light for the Sikh community. In 1708, Guru Gobind Singh officially ordained Guru Granth Sahib as the final and perpetual Guru of Sikhs. This worldwide celebration will commemorate the 300 years of consecration of Guru Granth Sahib and the anniversary of the accession of Guru Gobind Singh.On this momentous occasion, both Sikh and non-Sikh community members will gather together to promote honour the contributions that Gurus have made to the Sikh community.
Obama also thanked the Sikhs for their efforts to promote cultural diversity.
I would like to extend my congratulations to the American Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee and thank them for their ongoing efforts to promote cultural diversity and awareness on behalf of the Sikh community. I offer my best wishes for the success of tonights event.
Meanwhile, Mike Honda, Congressman, known for his association with the Sikh community and his support to them during hate-crime phase, has also sent his greetings to all Sikhs on this special occasion.
Dr. Pritpal Singh, Coordinator, American Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee, said: Of the various Gurudwaras across America, many U.S officials including Senate members , will attend the two day celebrations to be organised here between Oct.19-20. (ANI)
- Hindus greet Sikhs on Guru Gobind Singh birthday - Jan 01, 2011
- Ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh uses non-Sikhs to spread message of Gurbani in album - Nov 03, 2008
- Procession to mark tercentenary of Sikh hero reaches Delhi - Apr 29, 2010
- Australian Sikhs celebrate Baisakhi in Sydney - Apr 17, 2011
- Sikh devotees celebrate Guru Parab - Dec 24, 2009
- Over a million Sikhs participate in California parade - Nov 02, 2009
- Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC - Sep 29, 2011
- SGPGC's Sri Guru Granth Sahib university launched - Jul 25, 2011
- Guru Granth Sahib varsity VC shot at, injured - Aug 01, 2011
- PM offers prayers at Sachkhand Gurdwara in Nanded - Oct 30, 2008
- Golden Temple honors Hindu statesman - Apr 02, 2011
- Printing of Guru Granth Sahib allowed abroad - Sep 22, 2010
- Tens of thousands of Sikhs attend community parade in Yuba City - Nov 02, 2009
- SGPC not averse to printing Guru Granth Sahib abroad - Feb 14, 2010
- Golden Temple, a symbol of communal harmony - Nov 13, 2009
Tags: barack obama, cultural diversity, guiding light, guru gobind singh, guru granth sahib, gurudwara, gurudwaras, mike honda, momentous occasion, presidential hopeful barack obama, pritpal singh, ravinder singh, robin washington, sikh community, sikhs, sri guru granth, sri guru granth sahib, tercentenary celebration, tercentenary celebrations, worldwide celebration