Nuclear reactor may be set up with Russian CooperationMarch 7th, 2009 - 9:03 pm ICT by ANI
Tirunelveli (Tamil Nadu), March 7 (ANI): Chairman of Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) S K Jain has said that one more site may be identified to set up an additional reactor with Russian cooperation.
He said this while interacting with media persons after the 22nd joint coordination committee meeting with the visiting Russian delegation of nuclear Experts at Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu on March 6.
“An inter-governmental agreement which was signed between the Government of Russian Federation and Indian Government envisage setting up of six units, means four additional… in Koodankulam nuclear power plant. There is also a provision for one more site, it may be identified for setting up an additional reactor with Russian cooperation,” said S K Jain, Chairman of Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL).
He also noted that 95 per cent of work on Koodankulam nuclear power reactor has been completed and the rest of the project would be completed before December this year.
The Jaitapur unit in Maharashtra is likely to have six French nuclear reactors with 1,650-mega watts capacity each, and Areva, a French nuclear power company, would be the supplier, Jain added.
Describing India as one of the fastest developing economies in the world, Jain recognised the need for 8 lakh mega watts of power by the end of 2032. (ANI)
- India to talk to France, US for nuclear reactors - Jan 11, 2012
- Foreign banks support Jaitapur n-plant: NPCIL - Mar 23, 2011
- Prithviraj Chavan bats for Jaitapur nuclear project - Feb 26, 2011
- Jaitapur n-power plant cleared: Jairam Ramesh - Nov 28, 2010
- PM asked to cancel Jaitapur nuclear project - Aug 26, 2012
- Koodankulam nuclear project safe: Jayalalithaa - Sep 16, 2011
- Kudankulam's first unit to be ready for fuel loading soon: NPCIL - Mar 19, 2012
- German bank pulls out of Jaitapur nuclear project: Greenpeace - Mar 15, 2011
- Kudankulam row: Atomic panel head to meet state officials - Nov 03, 2011
- Jayalalithaa writes to PM, demands Kudankulam power - Apr 25, 2012
- Centre, Tamil Nadu should operationalise Kudankulam: MP - Feb 03, 2012
- India, France try to finalise accord on civil n-cooperation - Dec 02, 2010
- Study needed before setting up new nuclear power parks: Scientist - May 01, 2011
- Top nuclear officials meet Kudankulam expert panel, protests on - Oct 29, 2011
- NPCIL uploads dummy fuel into Kudankulam nuclear power reactor - Apr 24, 2010
Tags: areva, coordination committee, developing economies, governmental agreement, indian government, lakh, maharashtra, media persons, npcil, nuclear experts, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power corporation of india limited, nuclear power plant, nuclear power reactor, nuclear reactor, nuclear reactors, russian cooperation, russian delegation, s k jain, tamil nadu