Nuclear capable ‘Prithvi-II’ test fired successfullyApril 15th, 2009 - 2:30 pm ICT by ANI
Chandipur, Apr 15 (ANI): India on Wednesday successfully test fired the indigenous surface-to-surface ballistic missile, ‘Prithvi-II’, from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) here, 15 km from Balasore.
Prithvi-II, a version of nuclear-capable, has a range of 350 km.
The missile was launched from a mobile launcher at around 10:20 a.m. as part of a user trial by the army, defence sources said.
The entire trajectory of the trial was tracked down by a battery of sophisticated radars and electro-optic telemetry stations positioned in different locations for post-launch analysis, they said.
A naval ship had been anchored near the impact point in the Bay of Bengal and a Long-Range Tracking Radar (LRTR) as well as a Multi-Function Tracking Radar (MFTR) had been deployed to track the missile’s trajectory.
Prithvi II is a short-range, road-mobile, liquid-propellant ballistic missile. Similar to the Prithvi I in many ways, Prithvi II trades a smaller warhead for a longer range.
From 2002 on, Prithvi II is used by the Indian Army with the overarching logistical control and support retained by the Indian Air Force (IAF).
It was first test-fired on January 27, 1996 and the development stages were completed in 2004. (ANI)
- Prithvi-II ballistic missile successfully test-fired - Dec 22, 2010
- Prithvi-II, Dhanush missiles test fired successfully - Mar 11, 2011
- India successfully test fires two nuclear capable Prithvi-II missiles - Oct 12, 2009
- India test fires two nuclear capable Prithvi-II missiles in Chandipur - Oct 12, 2009
- India twice successfully tests n-capable Prithvi-II missile (Second Lead) - Dec 22, 2010
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India test fires n-capable Prithvi-II missile - Sep 26, 2011
- Prithvi-II missile fails to take off - Sep 24, 2010
- India test-fires n-capable 'Shourya' missile - Sep 24, 2011
- Prithvi-II test-fired successfully in Orissa - Jun 18, 2010
- India tests nuke capable Prithvi II missile - Jun 09, 2011
- Agni-I missile test-fired off Orissa coast - Nov 25, 2010
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni II - Sep 30, 2011
- India, Pakistan test nuke-tipped missiles on same day (Third Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India test-fires Prithvi-II missile - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: army defence, balasore, ballistic missile, bay of bengal, defence sources, first test, impact point, indian air force, indian army, january 27, launch, liquid propellant, logistical control, mobile launcher, naval ship, prithvi, sophisticated radars, test range, trajectory, warhead