NPF stakes claim to form government in NagalandMarch 9th, 2008 - 9:26 pm ICT by admin
By Vibhou Ganguly
Kohima, Mar 9 (ANI): The Nagaland People’s Front (NPF) on Sunday staked claim to form the next government in the state.
The Nagaland People’s Front leader Neiphiu Rio led 34 newly elected MLAs to the Raj Bhawan and met Governor K Shankaranarayanan, said NPF Secretary General Chubatemjen Ao.
The Governor has said the process of the government formation will only take place when the President Rule is revoked in the state. That will be done soon, Ao told Asian News International.
The Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) won 26 seats and with support of two MLAs each from the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and four independents, the front reached the mark of 34.
NPF, BJP, JD-U and NCP had forged a pre-poll alliance, but they contested the elections on separate manifestos.
The Congress Party could manage to win only 22 seats.
Former Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio won from northern Angami ii seat defeating his Congress rival Sevetso by over 10,000 votes.
Nagaland Assembly Speaker Kiyanlilie Peseyie won from western Angami seat.
Former Home Minister Thenucho lost the Chazouba seat to independent Chotisuh Sazo.
Prominent Congress candidates who won their elections were former Chief Minister K L Chishi, former Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader I Imkong and C Apok Jamir, son of Goa Governor and former Chief Minister, S C Jamir. (ANI)
- Five-time Nagaland chief minister loses by-poll - May 13, 2011
- Nagaland returning to normalcy - Sep 03, 2012
- Olympian archer honoured in Nagaland - Aug 16, 2012
- Army stages flag march in Nagaland - Sep 02, 2012
- Naga party says its Manipur result an achievement - Mar 07, 2012
- Northeast issues: Forum to draw national attention - Feb 08, 2011
- Northeast's lawmakers vote in presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
- Congress eyes hat-trick in Manipur (Manipur Newsletter) - Jan 20, 2012
- Nagaland announces award for Swuro - Jul 31, 2012
- Fire guts Nagaland CM's residence, narrow escape for family - Feb 08, 2011
- Congress scores hat trick in Manipur (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Nagaland makes industry out of its music - Aug 28, 2012
- Congress scores hat trick in Manipur (Fifth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress set to score hat trick in Manipur (Fourth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- NPF taking CPI-Ms help to restructure its organization - May 29, 2008
Tags: apok, asian news, assembly speaker, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, chishi, congress candidates, congress legislature party, democratic alliance, ganguly, government formation, home minister, jamir, manifestos, nagaland, nationalist congress party, ncp, poll alliance, president rule, raj bhawan