Now, women Argentine Olympic footballers photographed making ‘’slit-eyed” gestureAugust 19th, 2008 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, August 19 (ANI): Four members of Argentinas Olympic womens football team have added fuel to the controversy over making ‘’slit-eyed” gesture, just days after the Spanish mens and womens basketball teams were criticised for making similar poses.
The picture showing players Maria Potassa, Eva Gonzalez, Fabiana Vallejos and Andrea Ojeda smiling broadly as they pull back the skin on the side of their eyes, in a crude impersonation of Chinese people, has emerged on the internet.
However, there is no suggestion that the footballers meant to cause offence by their gestures.
The Argentine sports newspaper Ole first published the photograph on August 5, with a preview of the teams first match of the tournament against Canada.
Argentinas women footballers had a torrid time at the Beijing Games, losing all their three games, including a 2-0 defeat to China in their final match.
About a week ago, adverts featuring the Spanish mens and womens basketball teams in similar poses sparked international criticism.
Earlier this year, the members of Spains Olympic womens tennis team pulled the same face in anticipation of an upcoming match against China, a snap of which emerged last Thursday.
With the publication of such pictures, it has started to emerge how standards about the acceptability of racial stereotyping vary widely between countries, even in the West.
It was mostly from the English-speaking bloggers that much of the criticism of the Spanish teams came, prompting some complaints from Spain about alleged Anglo-Saxon hostility to Madrids 2016 Olympic bid.
The Spanish players have expressed shock that others may find them offensive, saying that it was “absurd” to consider the gesture racist.
“I”m sorry if anybody thought or took it the wrong way and thought that it was offensive,” the Telegraph quoted Pau Gasol, one of the Spanish basketballers, as writing on his blog. (ANI)
- Pau Gasol replaces Nadal as Spanish flagbearer - Jul 21, 2012
- Spain names basketball squad for London Olympics - Jun 20, 2012
- South African men's hockey team qualifies for London Olympics - May 06, 2012
- Spain''s Olympic basketball team in racial row following ''slit eyes'' pic - Aug 15, 2008
- Denver Nuggets To Trade Carmelo Anthony To The Los Angeles Lakers? - Feb 09, 2011
- Russia avoids US, draws Spain in Olympic basketball - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympic Torch Relay to showcase iconic North West - Jun 20, 2012
- Brazil, Spain, Britain seeded in Olympic football - Apr 24, 2012
- Real Madrid recruits seven-year-old - Aug 08, 2011
- Brazil win Olympic warm-up basketball tournament - Jul 13, 2012
- Pau Gasol Saves Los Angeles Lakers - May 01, 2010
- Basketball: Russia seals Olympics berth - Jul 08, 2012
- Iniesta named player of Euro 2012 - Jul 02, 2012
- Andres Iniesta Dedicates Win To Dani Jarque - Jul 12, 2010
- Marcelinho an Olympic rookie at 37 - Jul 16, 2012