Now, software that turns iPod into a phoneDecember 7th, 2008 - 3:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 7 (ANI): With a freeware application for the iPod Touch, your swanky music player can be turned into a virtual mobile phone, say the softwares creators.
Truphone uses wi-fi technology in an iPod Touch and enables phone users to make calls to other iPod Touch owners and Google Talk’’s messaging service users.
The software is a spin-off from technology Truphone developed for smartphones and iPhones.
With the creation, the developers plan to have the ability to make calls to and from landlines in place very soon.
Truphone is the latest firm to offer voice over Internet protocol (VoIP), alongside Unlicensed Mobile Access and proprietary protocols such as Skype.
Geraldine Wilson, the CEO of Truphone, said the firm had ambitions to become a global Internet player.
“There are a slew of new features we”re rolling out for the iPod Touch that will let users call landlines, Skype users or send instant messages. We”re talking weeks, not months, before these go live, BBC quoted Wilson, as saying
Truphone founder - James Tagg - said that the technology also worked on other mobile devices, albeit in a slightly different way.
He said: “If you were using Truphone on a Blackberry, it will use cellular technology to log into the Truphone’’s website. From here you can make an international call, call a user on VoIP, or send an instant message.
“Because the first leg of the call - from the user to our server - is charged at local rate, you”re talking a bill of pennies, rather than pounds, to call, say the United States.” (ANI)
- Apple redesigns iPod touch, updates iPod nano - Sep 13, 2012
- Google opens new line to internet phone calls - Aug 27, 2010
- Apple Previews & Releases Beta Version iPhone OS 4 Software With Much Awaited Multitasking Support - Apr 09, 2010
- Hacker claims security flaw with Apple's iPhone - Aug 18, 2012
- Telecom companies revive value of the Indian paisa (Comment) - May 18, 2010
- Now, China makes Skype illegal - Dec 31, 2010
- Apple introduces new version of computer operating system - Jun 12, 2012
- Young Brits prefer Facebook for staying in touch - Sep 17, 2011
- Apple's new iWatch can be worn on wrist - Sep 09, 2010
- iPod users warned to pull out earphones when on the move - Aug 06, 2010
- BSNL launches voice, video telephony services over internet - Jul 18, 2011
- The new iPod touch: practically a smartphone - Sep 19, 2010
- Apple set to launch smaller, lighter iPod Nano - Sep 02, 2010
- Chinese downloads 25 billionth app - Mar 06, 2012
- Majority offences in UAE are cyber crimes - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: cellular technology, freeware application, geraldine wilson, google, international call, internet player, iphones, ipod touch, landlines, local rate, messaging service, phone users, proprietary protocols, service users, tagg, truphone, unlicensed mobile access, voice over internet, voice over internet protocol, voice over internet protocol voip