Now, chromium-free coatings to protect cars against rustDecember 10th, 2008 - 5:50 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, December 10 (ANI): A new chromium-free coating can help protect cars against rust, reveals new study.
Researchers at the Fraunhofer Institutes for Silicate Research ISC in Wurzburg and for Machine Tools and Forming Technology IWU in Chemnitz, developed an alternative anti-corrosion method based on nanocomposites as against the long-standing chromium plating prohibited since 2007.
The boffins along with colleagues at the Institute for Corrosion Protection Dresden GmbH had submerged steel sheets into a coating sol, applied a power coating and exposed them to various tests to produce the new nanomaterials.
While the steel sheets were kept in a chamber filled with atomized brine for 360 hours, or 15 days, at a temperature of 35 degrees, the metal sheets had also been placed in an environment chamber with a relative humidity of 100 percent for 240 hours, or 10 days.
ISC project manager Dr. Johanna Kron said: These coatings protect most galvanized materials almost as well as commercial yellow chrome plating. Indeed, the new coatings are often even more effective than the chromium-free system and chromium(III) passivation currently on the market.
The study also found that the chromium-free coated metal sheets, which were less than a thousandth of a millimeter thick, could be formed in exactly the same way as yellow chrome plated sheets.
Kron revealed that the corrosion-proofing system could be expected to hit the market in around five years. (ANI)
- New way of keeping metal surfaces ice, frost-free - Jun 12, 2012
- Safer metal alloys may replace chrome coatings on bathroom fixtures, car bumpers - May 21, 2009
- Tough call: Showcasing high-art stainless steel on its 100th anniversary (With images) - Mar 09, 2012
- Carcinogen in 'Erin Brockovich' found across 31 US cities - Dec 21, 2010
- Nanoparticles new age answer to corrosion: Expert - Aug 23, 2012
- Indian defence research agency plans $110 mn nano foundry - Dec 09, 2010
- 'Bulletproof' case for your iPhone - Apr 16, 2012
- New alloy to save Indian rails from toilet corrosion (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- New alloy to save Indian rails from toilet corrosion - May 08, 2009
- Scientists to make joint replacement devices that would last a lifetime - Aug 10, 2010
- X-rays reveal why van Gogh paintings are losing their shine - Feb 15, 2011
- Cigarette butts may prevent corrosion of steel - May 13, 2010
- Recycling: cigarette butts may help prevent steel corrosion - May 13, 2010
- New eco friendly 'bacteria' coating protects metal against corrosion in seawater - Mar 30, 2009
- Rourkela Steel sees best ever November production - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: boffins, corrosion protection, dresden gmbh, environment chamber, forming technology, fraunhofer institutes, galvanized materials, iwu, kron, metal sheets, nanocomposites, nanomaterials, relative humidity, silicate research, steel sheets, study also found that, study researchers, thousandth, various tests, wurzburg