Now, a simple blood test to detect colon cancerNovember 21st, 2008 - 12:38 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 21 (ANI): Scientists from Tel Aviv University have developed a new blood test that can help detect colon cancer.
Lead researcher Prof. Nadir Arber, a professor of medicine and gastroenterology, at Tel Aviv Universitys Sackler Faculty of Medicine have developed a simple early-warning test that can detect colon cancer in the blood.
With the help of the biomarkers, this test can detect cells of colon polyps, the precursors to colon cancer in the blood, with a very high degree of sensitivity and accuracy.
People are often reluctant to undergo a routine but painful colonoscopy - but the consequences can be fatal
This painless, non-invasive and inexpensive test may help convince the patients to undergo colonoscopy
If we can identify those who are prone to cancer through a less invasive test, we can convince them to do the colonoscopy, said Prof. Arber, who heads the Integrated Cancer Prevention Centre at the Tel Aviv Souraski Medical Centre.
With Prof. Arbers CD24 test, doctors will be able to screen patients for colon cancer quickly and easily as part of a routine blood test.
While not 100pct accurate, it will provide a convincing argument for patients to undergo the colonoscopy, and then polyp removal, if necessary.
Initial trials have shown that the test can correctly identify adenomas, the polyps that convert to colon cancer, at a success rate of more than 80pct.
It utilizes the fact that polyps in the colon emit biomarkers, which can be detected in the blood at very low levels. (ANI)
- New study links smoking to colorectal cancer - Jun 11, 2010
- Stool DNA testing may help prevent colon cancer - May 05, 2010
- Lack of sleep 'ups risk of colon cancer' - Feb 09, 2011
- Bacterial balance in gut tied to colon cancer risk - Jun 23, 2010
- Endurance tests can detect nerve disease early - Jan 27, 2012
- Mozart helps in the detection of colon cancer - Nov 01, 2011
- Turmeric 'the right spice' to fight colon cancer - Mar 03, 2011
- A quicker way of detecting hearing loss - Oct 07, 2011
- Childhood obesity linked to bladder, urinary cancer - Jul 24, 2012
- Air pollution increases risk of repeat heart attack - Jun 06, 2012
- Irritable bowel syndrome patients not at increased colon cancer risk - Mar 10, 2010
- Potential biomarkers for predicting colon cancer spread - Mar 04, 2010
- Beware! Pain killers could spike your BP - Mar 21, 2012
- Scientists testing vaccine to prevent colon cancer - Mar 20, 2009
- Two new blood tests make detection of gastrointestinal cancer simpler - Sep 21, 2009
Tags: adenomas, arber, arbers, biomarkers, cancer prevention, cd24, colon cancer, colon polyps, colonoscopy, convincing argument, faculty of medicine, inexpensive test, initial trials, medical centre, nadir, new blood, polyps in the colon, prevention centre, routine blood test, tel aviv university