Notorious dacoit Ghanshyam killed in ChitrakootJune 18th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by ANI
Chitrakoot (Uttar Pradesh) June18 (ANI): Notorious dacoit Ghanshyam Kewat alias Nanhu was shot dead by Uttar Pradesh police during a fierce three day gun battle in Jamauli village of Chitrakoot district.
Police surrounded the area three days ago after learning about the presence of the criminal and his gang.
Uttar Pradesh Police had announced a reward of 50,000 on Ghanshyam and on his gang.
Earlier, there were reports that the dacoits might have escaped the police dragnet.
Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Vikram Singh said, the encounter is still on and is expected to continue till the evening.
Additional forces have been sent to the spot, which is around 120 kilometers from Allahabad.
Company commander PAC Beni Madhav Singh and Constables Shamim and Iqbal were killed in the encounter, while IG VK Gupta, DIG SK Singh and STF personnel Navendra Singh and Akram, Dileep Kumar Tiwari and Rajendra Singh were injured.
IG Gupta and DIG Singh who received bullet injuries in the lower abdomen were airlifted to Lucknow for treatment.
DGP Vikram Singh said, utmost care was being taken during the encounter to protect villagers, their property and livestock
The dacoits were using .303 rifles, double and single barrel of .312 bore and hand grenades, Singh said.
Singh said it was a “residual gang” of dacoit Baccha Kewat, who was killed earlier by police.
He said that teams of Special Task Force (STF), Special Operation Group (SOG), and police of the adjoining districts have been put on alert. (ANI)
- IG, DIG of UP Police among those injured in encounter with dacoit gang - Jun 17, 2009
- Bandit gunned down after 50-hour siege, four cops killed (Lead) - Jun 18, 2009
- Gunfight with bandits in Uttar Pradesh continues, two more cops killed (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- 400 cops kill lone bandit after 50-hour siege (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh gunfight with bandits still on, three cops dead (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh gun battle continues for third day - Jun 18, 2009
- Romance of ravines dying out for India's bandits? (Feature) - Jul 12, 2009
- Dacoits kill five of family in UP - Aug 10, 2012
- Wanted man shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 06, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh policeman killed in gunfight with bandits - Jun 16, 2009
- Gangster arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 10, 2012
- Reward for two behind bomb attack on minister - Jul 29, 2010
- Four pilgrims killed as vehicle overturns in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 09, 2010
- Chambal dacoit shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 16, 2011
- Dreaded Chambal dacoit killed in shootout - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: 303 rifles, akram, company commander, constables, dacoit, dacoits, dileep kumar, district police, dragnet, gun battle, hand grenades, iqbal, lower abdomen, madhav, operation group, rajendra singh, shamim, stf personnel, utmost care, vikram singh