Noted writer Vishnu Prabhakar passes awayApril 11th, 2009 - 2:09 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Apr. 11 (ANI): Eminent writer, litterateur and Padma Bhushan award winner Vishnu Prabhakar passed away on Saturday in New Delhi.
Dr Prabhakar, who was suffering from chest infection, was admitted to the Maharaja Agrasen Hospital in Punjabi Bagh two weeks ago following complaints of breathing difficulties.
The Sahitya Akademi award winner, 96, is survived by two sons and two daughters. His wife Sushila Prabhakar died a few years back.
Dr Prabhakar’s condition deteriorated late last night and the end came in early morning, and his family members were by his side when he breathed his last.
In his will, Dr Prabhakar had decided to donate his body organs.
The body will be donated to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
Prabhakaran was born on January 29, 1912 in the Mirapur village of Muzaffarnagar district in Uttar Pradesh.
Writer of over 50 published works, Dr Prabhakaran had written novels, plays and story collections in his lifetime.
A unique characteristic of his works is that it had elements of patriotism, nationalism and messages of social upliftment.
Dr Prabhakar was awarded Padma Bhushan and the Sahitya Akademi Award for his novel Ardhanarishvara (The Androgynous God or Shiva).
He had also won lot of acclaim for his biography ‘Awara Maseeha’. (ANI)
- Prabhakar's death marks end of an era of Hindi literature (Obituary) - Apr 11, 2009
- Gandhian writer Vishnu Prabhakar dies at 97 - Apr 11, 2009
- Eminent Bengali writer passes away - Sep 04, 2012
- Sahitya Akademi to honour four northeastern writers - Aug 04, 2011
- Malayalam writer Sukumar Azhikode dead (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Kurup, Mahapatra among Padma awardees for education, literature - Jan 25, 2011
- Maharashtra gets lion's share of Padma awards 2012 - Jan 26, 2012
- Kolkata litterateurs to protest 'persecution' of 'Satanic Verses' readers - Jan 24, 2012
- Ajneya a litterateur similar to Tagore: Hamid Ansari - Feb 22, 2012
- Sukumar Azhikode: A man of the masses (Obituary) - Jan 24, 2012
- 19 women among Padma award winners - Jan 25, 2012
- Assamese poet Hiren Bhattacharyya passes away - Jul 04, 2012
- Hindi litterateur Shrilal Shukla dead - Oct 28, 2011
- Malayalam writer Sukumar Azhikode passes away - Jan 24, 2012
- Jnanpith Award winner Vinda Karandikar dead (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, androgynous, award winner, body organs, breathing difficulties, chest infection, india institute, maharaja, nationalism, New Delhi, patriotism, prabhakar, prabhakaran, punjabi bagh, sahitya akademi award, shiva, social upliftment, story collections, two daughters