Not reinstating Iftikhar Chaudhry part of Govt-Musharraf resignation dealAugust 21st, 2008 - 9:55 am ICT by ANI
Islamabad , Aug 21 (ANI): Non-reinstatement of sacked Pakistan chief justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry was a part of the deal which had been agreed between the federal coalition government and former President Pervez Musharraf before the latters (Musharraf) resignation, sources privy to the deal revealed.
According to them, the deal was struck with the help of Saudi Arabia and the United Kingdom .
Chaudhrys non-reinstatement has created differences between the PPP and the PML-N the two major parties in the ruling coalition. While Nawaz is adamant for Iftikhar to be reinstated, Zardari appears in mood to oblige the former premier.
A proposal for appointing a new chief justice is being considered, the sources said, and the PML-N is likely to abandon the alliance in which case a large number of legislators from the Altaf Hussain-led MQM and the PML-Quaid would join the coalition, reported the Daily Times.
Crucial political decisions are expected within the next three days, said the sources and added that Iftikhar Chaudhry would not be reinstated because he might initiate cases against Musharraf. (ANI)
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Not aware of chief justice's son's case: Rehman Malik (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- 'Sworn enemies' Musharraf, Sharif and Zardari are 'famous Facebook friends'! - Mar 19, 2011
- PML-N hints at legal action against MQM members for "bad-mouthing" its leadership - Jan 02, 2011
- Pakistani parliament committee to probe Karachi violence - Aug 28, 2011
- PML-Q to get Deputy PM post, several ministries on joining PPP-led Pak Govt: Report - Apr 30, 2011
- Musharraf blames Nawaz Sharif for bloodbath in Karachi - Jan 17, 2011
- I was not a dictator: Musharraf - Sep 07, 2009
- PML-N, MQM tear each other apart with no-holds barred remarks - Dec 30, 2010
- Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP candidate for PM's post (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Pakistan's bar association elects its first woman chief - Oct 28, 2010
- Zardari seeks unity of allies before US visit - Jan 13, 2011
- PML-N goes overboard in protest against PPP in Pak parliament - Apr 21, 2011
- Nawaz terms PML-Q supporters of dictators, rules out alliance - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: altaf, chief justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, federal coalition government, justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, latters, nawaz, new chief justice, pml n, political decisions, president pervez musharraf