Norwegian Minister for local bodies takes stock of village councilNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:09 am ICT by admin
Home to the 3,000-strong Muslim-majority Meo community, Neemkheda is one of the most backward villages-economically and socially-in Haryana’s Mewat region.
Kleppa emphasised on the role of elective bodies at the grass root level.
“I think it is important for them as well as it has been important for all of us to cooperate and to work closely together. I hope that their husbands can see and understand their capacity to make a better local society,” said Kleppa.
Kleppa is on her first three-day visit to India from October 28 to 31 following an invitation from Panchayat Raj Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar.
A slew of development projects took off with the initiative of the all-woman village council.
“We are working on making high schools in the village, roads, schools for girls, move from village to village to do developmental work,” said 60 year-old Ashubi Begam, head of the village council.
Under provisions of the Local Bodies Acts, it is mandatory upon the states to constitute local bodies and hold elections once every five years, failing which federal grants to the states may be denied.
Under the Panchayati Raj system, local elected bodies assume a lot of power in developmental activities in areas under their jurisdiction.
Since the Act became operative in 1993 most of the Indian states have conducted elections to these bodies providing for over one million women to be elected to such bodies. (ANI)
- Haryana to have panchayat elections in 8 districts - Jun 15, 2010
- China, Norway train link may speed up freight to US - Jan 29, 2010
- Himachal village unanimously elects all-woman panchayat - Dec 16, 2010
- Re-poll in 33 polling stations in Haryana - Jun 13, 2010
- Haryana declares June 6, 12 holidays for panchayat polls - May 28, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi visits Rajasthan's violence-hit areas - Oct 09, 2011
- Village headmen to be elected through EVMs - Apr 12, 2010
- Himachal all set to empower rural women - Dec 25, 2010
- Police firing did not kill anyone in Bharatpur: Official - Sep 19, 2011
- Haryana panchayat polls June 6, 12 - May 16, 2010
- Separate teachers cadre for Haryana's Mewat - Apr 22, 2012
- Iceland's volcanic ash cloud disrupts flights across Europe (Second lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- 80 percent voting in Haryana panchayat polls - Jun 12, 2010
- Central team touring northeast to push for grassroots governance - Feb 18, 2011
- 70 percent vote in Haryana panchayat polls, three killed - Jun 07, 2010
Tags: bodies, elections, grass root level, haryana, local society, mani shankar aiyar, muslim majority, norwegian minister, panchayat, panchayati raj, village council, village roads, work closely together