Norwegian jazz band enthrals Agartala school childrenNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:27 am ICT by admin
Students enjoyed it and cheered the three-member band.
The keyboard player Daniel Buner Formo, Guitarist and lead singer Bjorn Vidar Solli, and drummer Hakon Mjaset Johansen, were upbeat with the warm reception they received in Agartala.
The band members came with an aim to expose children to jazz.
“Access to some real jazz music is basically non-existent in this part and that ishy we are here,” said Solli.
Impressed with the band’s performance on Saturday, students now want to listen to more of jazz music.
“It is really nice to have them perform here. They have come all the way from Norway,” said Janie Debbarma, a student.
Father George, the Principal of Don Bosco School, was full of appreciation for the band.
“We are indeed very thrilled. Children listen to music on CDs, but to have a live performance it was a thrilling experience and children really enjoyed it.” Said Father George.
Formed around eight year back, the band has performed some of their improvised compositions, since jazz lays emphasis on creative freedom.
The band is on a concert tour of India, under the aegis of a private Indian organisation and the Norwegian Government.
Jazz as a music form is believed to have originated in the 20th century in America developed by the African-American communities. It is termed as the only ‘original’ art form of America.
Musical instruments like drums, saxophone, piano and trumpets are typicalf jazz. (ANI)
- Winter fest, youngsters give jazz a chance - Dec 14, 2011
- 'Indian rhythms, American jazz coming together' - Nov 02, 2011
- Winter beats: The great sound feast on in Delhi - Dec 14, 2010
- Wynton Marsalis On "60 Minutes" - Jan 03, 2011
- Glenn Miller Orchestra To Host Live Concert - Mar 13, 2010
- 'Escape' to Naukuchiatal - where the music played on - May 23, 2012
- Jazz musicians in Delhi mix new sounds with new venues (Feature) (With images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Rajasthani touch at British queen's celebrations - Apr 28, 2012
- Panaji -- a jazz twin of Dutch town? - Feb 08, 2011
- Tagore in symphony with Bach and Beethoven - in Germany - Apr 17, 2012
- Folk, rock, fusion music in Manali's cool air - Jun 02, 2012
- Kolkata's slum kids seek Don Bosco's blessings - Jul 17, 2011
- Mozart's cradle to Indian raga: Long journey for Austrian jazz band - Dec 04, 2010
- Jaipur Maharaja band to jam at Singapore Grand Prix - Sep 14, 2011
- City celebrates Africa Day with dance, music (With Images) - May 26, 2012
Tags: african american communities, agartala, aim, buner, creative freedom, don bosco school, indian organisation, jazz music, listen to music, member band, music students, non existent, norwegian government, norwegian jazz, real jazz, warm reception