North Korea halts nuclear disarmament

August 26th, 2008 - 6:40 pm ICT by ANI  

New York, Aug 26 (ANI): North Korea has said that it has stopped disabling its nuclear facilities and is considering restoring them.

The North Koreas Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday that it took the measure because Washington has failed to remove the country from its list of terror sponsors as a reward for disabling the facilities.

Pyongyang has been disabling its nuclear facilities under a disarmament-for-aid deal reached last year.

According to the CBS News, the ministry was quoted as saying that the suspension took effect on August 14 and the countries involved in international talks on its nuclear programs have been notified.

In fact, last Wednesday the Foreign Ministry threatened to increase its war deterrent if it felt that there was any military threat to North Korea from the US or any of its followers.

On last Monday, South Korea and the U.S. had launched Ulchi Freedom Guardian, an annual computer-simulated war game, which North Korea claimed to be a joint military exercise and a rehearsal for an attack against it. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |