“North Indian” beaten to death on Mumbai local trainOctober 29th, 2008 - 12:48 pm ICT by ANI
Badlapur, Oct 29 (ANI): A man from Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh was beaten to death on a train in Badlapur in Maharashtra, after the miscreants identified him as a “North Indian”.
Dharamdev Rai, 25, and his three friends were attacked by eight-ten people when they were on their way to Kurla.
One of them claimed that they were attacked by a group of Marathi-speaking youths who abused them for taking up jobs in Mumbai.
Rai was admitted to the Dubey Hospital, but succumbed to his injuries.
The tragic incident comes after a youth from Bihar Rahul Raj was gunned down by the Mumbai Police on Monday after he had allegedly hijacked a bus at Kurla saying he wanted revenge against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray.
On October 19, MNS activists had attacked north Indian railway job aspirants in Mumbai prompting calls for Thackeray’’s arrest and for the party to be banned. Thackeray was arrested on October 21 for rioting and provoking attacks on migrants. His arrest sparked protests in Maharashtra and a backlash on migrants across the country. However, on October 22, Thackeray was given bail in Mumbai after spending a night in jail. (ANI)
- Political leaders condemn killing of a North Indian in Maharashtra - Oct 30, 2008
- Adequate measures taken to ensure law and order in Maharashtra claims Deshmukh - Oct 30, 2008
- Five arrested for lynching of a "North Indian" in Maharashtra - Oct 30, 2008
- Lalu announces Rs 3 lakh compensation for Dharam Dev Rai''s widow - Oct 30, 2008
- Mayawati asks Centre to stop attacks on north Indians in Mumbai - Oct 29, 2008
- Shivraj Patil speaks to Maharashtra CM over death of UP youth - Oct 29, 2008
- Centre should issue directive to Maharashtra government: BJP - Oct 29, 2008
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Will attend Bihar Day in Mumbai, stresses Nitish - Apr 13, 2012
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Raj Thackeray again attacks north Indian migrants - Jul 18, 2011
- Lalu's RJD backs Nitish on Bihar Day in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: activists, backlash, gorakhpur, indian railway, job, kurla, local train, maharashtra, migrants, miscreants, mns, mumbai police, october 19, protests, rai, raj, revenge, thackeray, three friends, tragic incident