North India continues to reel under intense cold waveJanuary 29th, 2008 - 3:32 pm ICT by admin
Rohtak (Haryana)/Mussoorie (Uttarakhand), Jan 29 (ANI): Northern India continued to shiver under intense cold wave conditions on Tuesday as mercury levels dipped to sub-zero temperatures, disrupting normal life.
In Rohtak, the temperature plummeted to around two degree Celsius, causing immense hardship to people, particularly during the intensely cold nights.
Labourers working in the outdoors have wrapped themselves up in maximum possible warm clothing, and are spending most of their time huddling around makeshift fires.
“When we sleep at night, it is terribly cold. We have to get up in between and light a fire to warm ourselves,” claimed Raju, a labourer.
Meanwhile, in Mussoorie, temperatures dipped to minus four degrees Celsius, freezing water bodies and water pipes, on Tuesday.
The residents are bitter about the ’strange’ weather condition, saying that there was no snowfall despite the freezing temperatures.
“In January, there is usually snowfall. But instead of snow, a dry cold wave is prevailing under which the temperatures are below minus. The water pipes have frozen over. We are experiencing this for the first time ever,” said P. S. Rawat, a resident.
Meanwhile, the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway was closed today due to heavy snowfall in the Jawahar tunnel and Shetani drain area.
Over 300 vehicles have been stranded on the Highway due to the blockade caused by snow and mudslides near Ramban.
Border Roads Organisation (BDO) has deployed its personnel to clear the highway. (ANI)
- Cold wave continues across North India (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2012
- Srinagar has coldest night in 16 years - Jan 14, 2012
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Nippy Thursday across north India (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2012
- Kashmir freezes over, Pahalgam minus 16.1 - Jan 16, 2011
- Kashmir Valley continues to be in deep freeze - Jan 28, 2012
- Major snowfall in Srinagar in coming days - Jan 12, 2012
- Kashmir Valley in cold grip, Leh minus 11.4 - Jan 22, 2011
- Cold wave persists over Punjab and Haryana, Amritsar freezes - Jan 10, 2012
- Kargil freezes at minus 25, lowest of the season - Jan 30, 2012
- Srinagar gets slight relief from cold, still freezing in Ladakh - Jan 08, 2011
- Snowfall likely in Himachal on New Year's Day - Dec 30, 2011
- North India shivers, fog hits rail traffic (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- Himachal has break in snowfall, but more in store (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Snowfall in north Kashmir, Ladakh continues to freeze - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: bdo, border roads, cold nights, cold wave, degree celsius, four degrees, freezing water, heavy snowfall, mercury levels, mudslides, mussoorie, north india, northern india, strange weather, warm clothing, water bodies, water pipes, wave conditions, weather condition, zero temperatures