North-eastern handicrafts steal the show at 13th national handicraft fairNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:13 am ICT by admin
The four-day fair impressed national and international buyers in Indian handicrafts. The handloom and handicraft products from north-eastern India created an impact beyond India.
There were many small entrepreneurs from the north -east who got an opportunity to market their products at the fair.
Marina Kullu, a Meghalya trader, said: “Most of our products are handmade. It’s the natural fiber like grass, cane, bamboo, some weed, which is our unique selling proposition. We use local weeds in our products by shaping them into attractive designs.” he fair, was first held in 1994. It has now become a good platform especially for the products from north eastern India. These products have occupied a major share of the handicraft market and are drawing attention of the foreign buyers.
Pawan Jain, trader from Manipur, said: “The products of north-east are far superior to the products made in south or anywhere else. Their skills are incomparable. A Manipuri fabric made 30 years back is still as bright as it was at that time. So, it’s all about the quality of the product. Their weaving, production, dyeing is excellent. From that viewpoint, they are unmatchable,”
Moreover, the Indian Handicrafts and Gift fair facilitated long -term relations between the Indian businessmen and foreign delegates who had arrived from the U.S, U.K, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Canada and many other European countries. By Gautam Parihar (ANI)
- Corporates told to give handlooms, handicraft products as gift items - Aug 13, 2012
- Be honest, Omar tells Kashmiri traders - May 14, 2012
- South African handicrafts huge draw at Delhi trade fair - Nov 16, 2011
- Nagaland aiming to reach out to bigger markets through handloom sector - Dec 02, 2010
- North East craft persons showcase their work at IITF 2010 - Dec 04, 2010
- Tripura hosts a craft fair to promote inter-state trade - May 21, 2010
- Himachal to promote handicrafts in Karnataka - Jul 28, 2012
- 31 overseas buyers to attend handicraft, handloom fair - Feb 22, 2010
- Wooden masks from Ghana huge draw at IITF - Nov 18, 2011
- Manipur hosts fair promoting rural handicrafts and handlooms - Dec 10, 2009
- 'India can be world leader in handmade textiles' - Jan 05, 2012
- Ten-day Tripura crafts exhibition gives boost to entrepreneurs, artisans - Jan 21, 2011
- Fashion jewellery exhibition from July 8 - Jun 30, 2011
- Village handicrafts go on show at Dilli Haat - Dec 03, 2011
- Afghan handicrafts, dry fruits lure retailers at Delhi IITF - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: annual fair, attractive designs, eastern india, export promotion council, handicraft market, handicraft products, handloom, indian businessmen, indian handicrafts, kullu, manipuri, pawan, spain japan, steal the show, term relations