North east beauties glide down Shillong beauty pageant rampOctober 16th, 2008 - 8:35 pm ICT by ANI
Shillong (Meghalaya), Oct.16 (ANI): North- East beauties glided down the ramp in glitzy beauty pageant contest organised by the Fashion Society, Shillong, in collaboration with the government-run North East Forum of Indigenous Culture and Arts.
The event is a big tourist attraction and provides a platform to many budding models and designers to showcase their talent.
The Miss North East Pageant has become an annual feature on the calendar of the north- east Indians. It is a major tourist attractor.
The event was celebrated with much pomp and gaiety this year to mark the 25th anniversary of the fashion society of Shillong, which has been promoting fashion designers, models and weavers of the north-east region.
Apart from the bevy of beauties sashaying down the ramp the event featured singers and performing artistes from eight North eastern States Assam, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Manipur,Tripura and Sikkim.
“We are really happy that the turnout of all the states is really awesome. All the eight states are participating with two-two participants each and I am sure that judging was very good and very fair and I am sure the filler items, singers and dancers etc. gave a very good entertainment to the audience,” said A. Mawlong, one of the organisers of the event.
Stuti Choudhary of Assam was crowned the Ms.North East 2008, while Laila Kharkongor of Meghalaya became the second runner-up.
Stuti attributes her confidence as her mantra to success.
“Firstly according to our ritual I have to go to our temple and there are some poor people you know I have to provide one meal at least. Apart from that…yes after that I would like to gift back to all my friends and family for supporting me and believing in me. Yeah and I don”t think I will have any money left to do anything elseelse I”ll shop,” said Choudhary.
India’’s booming fashion industry attracts thousands of hopefuls, both as models and dress designers.
New Delhi has been striving hard to promote the northeastern states with their huge untapped resources and large pool of skilled manpower as the bridgehead for the 400 million- strong Southeast Asian market.
India’’s northeast is home to a complex web of tribal groups located 2,400 km east of New Delhi. The region has two million inhabitants and as many as 29 major tribes.(ANI)
- Shillong ready to host its first fashion show (With Images) - Sep 12, 2012
- Northeast fashion weekend to bring up new designers, models - Jul 29, 2010
- First Fashion Week In Northeast To Be Held In Guwahati - Aug 07, 2010
- 'Magical threads' fashion show highlights handlooms and handicrafts of Shillong - Jul 30, 2010
- Beauties from Northeast prepare to enter national stage - Oct 24, 2008
- Meghalaya culture comes to Delhi - Feb 26, 2011
- Guwahati hosts Miss North East 2010 contest - Jan 20, 2010
- Miss Mega Northeast Contest showcases unity among all - Mar 21, 2011
- Bifurcate Assam-Meghalaya joint cadre too: Meghalaya legislators - Sep 06, 2012
- India's northeast can be regional bridge: Tharoor - Apr 09, 2010
- Standing ovation for Kallol, Pankaj and Nidhi at LFW finale - Aug 08, 2012
- Indore girl wins Miss Asia Pacific 2012 (With Images) - Jun 19, 2012
- Beauty queens come together to celebrate womanhood - May 07, 2012
- Ahana Deol to design for a cause (With Image) - Jan 25, 2012
- Meghalaya official held for bribe, sent to police custody - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: 25th anniversary, arunachal pradesh, assam, beauty pageant, culture and arts, dress designers, east beauties, east indians, eastern states, fashion designers, fashion industry, fashion society, gaiety, indigenous culture, manipur, meghalaya, mizoram, nagaland, performing artistes, shillong