Normalcy returns to violence-hit Assam districtsOctober 7th, 2008 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Oct 07 (ANI): The situation in violence-hit areas of Assam remained calm on Tuesday with no overnight incidents reported.
Assam Government spokesman and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said that the situation is fast returning to normal with security forces able to quell the clashes although curfew and shoot-at-sight orders are continuing. An estimated 8,000 police, army and paramilitary troops were deployed in Udalguri, Darrang, Baska, and Chirang district of Assam after violence broke out on Friday between tribal Bodos and Muslim migrant settlers.
The death toll now stood at 40 with 15 people dying in police firing alone.
Since Friday, more than 200 houses were set ablaze in about six villages. Army has been deployed in the area.
According to reports, thousands of villagers have fled their homes and are now sheltering in makeshift relief camps set up by the police.
The provocation for the clashes was allegedly an attack on a group of Village Defence Party (VDP) volunteers belonging to the tribal Bodo community by members of a religious minority group. (ANI)
- Calm returns to violence-hit Assam districts - Oct 07, 2008
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Tension in Assam's Udalguri after youth's body found - Sep 06, 2012
- Assam violence not Hindu-Muslim clash: Minister for Northeast (Interview) - Aug 20, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Bodo areas calm, rehabilitation starts - Sep 02, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Toll in Assam ethnic clashes mounts to 49 (Second Lead) - Oct 06, 2008
- 25 killed in Assam as violence escalates - Oct 05, 2008
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Assam violence toll rises to 51 - Oct 08, 2008
Tags: assam districts, assam government, baska, bodos, clashes, curfew, death toll, government spokesman, health minister, minority group, muslim, normalcy returns, paramilitary troops, provocation, relief camps, religious minority, sarma, security forces, settlers, volunteers