Noddy to celebrate 60th Birthday with a bookNovember 17th, 2008 - 5:25 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 17 (ANI): Noddy, a character created by British childrens author Enid Blyton, will have a book written to mark its 60th anniversary next year.
The new book, provisionally entitled Noddy’’s Birthday Surprise, will be written by the late Blytons granddaughter Sophie Smallwood, 38, and illustrated by Robert Tyndall, who began drawing the characters in 1953.
It is a great honour, if a little daunting, to pick up the pen and take over from my grandmother, Times Online quoted Smallwood as saying.
According to the Telegraph, the book has been commissioned by Chorion, the firm that owns the rights to Noddy, and earns a reported 180million dollars a year from sales of the books.
Noddy had originally been published between 1949 and 1963, and it is the longest running show on British television since 1955, and though the book has undergone many changes, Smallwood said that she had no plans of undoing any of them.
The books have since sold 200million copies in 40 languages, making Blyton the sixth most translated author in the world, just behind William Shakespeare. (ANI)
- Enid Blyton's unseen novel 'Mr Tumpy's Caravan' discovered - Feb 23, 2011
- Noddy to return to Toyland without Mr. Golliwog - Oct 19, 2009
- Noddy comes to India! - Jul 13, 2012
- Enid Blyton is Liz Hurley's biggest literary influence - Oct 27, 2010
- Enid Blyton joins JK Rowling, Dan Brown in Amazon's best-selling authors list - Dec 17, 2009
- Lost book by Enid Blyton found - Feb 23, 2011
- Carter to play Enid Blyton - Mar 07, 2009
- Helena to play Enid Blyton in TV drama - Mar 07, 2009
- Enid Blyton falls out of children's top ten authors list - Dec 17, 2010
- Enid Blyton named ''Britain''s Best-Loved Author'' - Aug 19, 2008
- Noddy celebrates 60th birthday with high-tech makeover - Apr 13, 2009
- Kids get ready, Noddy is coming to town - Aug 20, 2008
- Enid Blytons famous characters to return in new adventure series - Aug 25, 2008
- Enid Blyton ''had emotional age of 13-year-old'', reveals her daughter - Nov 10, 2008
- Enid Blyton may have been a Nazi sympathiser - Jan 04, 2010
Tags: 60th anniversary, birthday surprise, book london, british television, childrens author enid, enid blyton, granddaughter, grandmother, honour, languages, longest running show, shakespeare, smallwood, sophie, telegraph, tyndall, william shakespeare