Nobel prize winner Yunas calls for strengthening micro economic systemMarch 31st, 2009 - 3:35 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 31 (ANI): Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunas urged the government on Tuesday to strengthen the micro economic system for speeding up the growth process in rural India and take measures for the betterment of women.
Addressing a two-day conference on women of South Asia, Partners in development, Yunas, a Bangladeshi banker and economist who founded the Grameen bank, emphasised on economic concerns of women and other deprived sections of society.
Yunas, in his inaugural remarks on Monday had said the impact of economic slow down on the South Asian region is huge, adding that issues like energy, poverty and education are also equal challenges for the developing economies.
Author of ‘Banker of the Poor’, Yunas is also the founding board member of Grameen America and Grameen foundation.
He also serves on the Board of Directors of the United Nations Foundation.
The conference, organised by Jamia Millia Islamia University in collaboration with the South Asia foundation, witnessed the participation of women representatives from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India.
The issue of setting a women’s network in South East Asia to learn new models of improving their living standards and preserving their culture was discussed at length in the conference. (ANI)
- Jamia honours Amartya Sen (With Image) - Dec 16, 2011
- South Asian initiative seeks to break fresh ground - Dec 06, 2011
- Theatre fest from South Asia on Women's Day (With Image) - Mar 03, 2010
- Research on to improve India-Myanmar ties - Jan 31, 2012
- Yunus remains Grameen Bank chief despite court verdicts - May 07, 2011
- Yunus receives SolarWorld Einstein Award - Sep 09, 2010
- Bangladeshi Nobel laureate meets Sharjah ruler - May 10, 2012
- Grameen Bank founder accused of diverting millions of dollars of aid to other projects - Dec 03, 2010
- Yunus moves apex court against removal from Grameen Bank - Mar 09, 2011
- IBSA brainstorms on trilateral solutions - Oct 19, 2010
- Nobel laureate Yunus loses Bangladesh court appeal - Apr 05, 2011
- India's ex-judge, Grameen supporters rally behind Yunus - Feb 24, 2011
- 'Charges against Muhammad Yunus politically motivated' - Feb 18, 2011
- Bangladesh's Grameen bank chief Yunus steps down - May 13, 2011
- We need to invest in our youth: Yechury - Oct 29, 2011
Tags: asia foundation, betterment, developing economies, economic concerns, economic system, economist, emphasised, founding board member, grameen bank, grameen foundation, muhammad yunas, New Delhi, nobel peace prize, nobel peace prize winner, nobel prize winner, peace prize winner, South Asia, south asian region, south east asia, united nations foundation