No proposal to set up madrassa board, says SibalMarch 2nd, 2011 - 10:30 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 2 (ANI): Union Human Resource and Development (HRD) Minister Kapil Sibal refuting reports that the government proposed to set up a madrassa board, on Wednesday said there was little support to the formation of a madrassa board from the Muslim community.
Sibal further said that he had only discussed the issue with MPs after a proposal was made in this direction by the National Commission for Minority Education, but the MPs raised their objections to it.
“The board is a suggestion of the Sachar Committee that felt that the functioning and modernisation of the madrassas should be supervised by a body, which has more academics than theologians,” said Sibal on the sidelines of an event here.
“There are special programmes for the minority community in the country,” he added.
Sibal, who is also in charge of the Telecom Ministry, set aside all apprehensions that the influx of foreign universities into the country following the passage of the Foreign Universities Bill will lead to cultural invasion.
“The Bill has enough provisions to keep away non-serious players and fly-by-night operators from the country,” he added. (ANI)
- Meta university by next year: Sibal - Feb 03, 2012
- Rajasthan has a plan for minorities - Sep 09, 2012
- Sibal bats for Foreign Education Providers Bill - Sep 12, 2012
- Wrong to say madrassas hub of terrorism: Author - Aug 12, 2011
- Madrassa reform proposal evokes mixed response - Jul 15, 2009
- No interference in madrassas: Sibal - Aug 14, 2010
- Education must be above political agenda: Sibal - Apr 18, 2012
- Board to regulate madrassa education planned - Aug 09, 2010
- India assures level playing field to foreign educational institutions - Oct 14, 2011
- Government hopeful of passing important education bills - Apr 22, 2012
- IIT-Delhi alumni reject new entrance test formula - Jun 28, 2012
- Congress promises jobs, minority quota in UP (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Muslim Personal Law Board slams Khursheed - Jul 16, 2012
- Awards for social scientists soon: HRD minister - Feb 06, 2012
- Arjun Singh for Central Madrassa Board - Jan 20, 2009
Tags: academics, apprehensions, fly, human resource, influx, invasion, kapil sibal, madrassas, minority community, minority education, modernisation, mps, muslim community, New Delhi, objections, proposal, provisions, sidelines, telecom ministry, theologians