No place for terrorism and sectarian hatred in society: President Pratibha PatilSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow , Sept 23 (ANI): Urging the youth of the nation to come forward to fight terrorism, President Pratibha Patil on Tuesday said terrorism and sectarian hatred have no place in the society as it is against development.
President Patil received the D.Lit (Honoris Causa) conferred by Lucknow University at a special convocation in Lucknow .
“Terrorism and communal hatred are enemies of development, stability and a peaceful society,” she said in her convocation address.
The President further said, “We have to divest hatred from the minds of some of our misguided youth and bring them to the path of peace, amity and communal harmony.”
Emphasising that it is the duty of every citizen of the country to co-operate in combating terrorism, she paid rich tributes to the Delhi Police Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma, who sacrificed his life during the Jamia Nagar encounter on September 19, and hailed the security and police personnel engaged in fighting terrorism.
Reiterating the Governments commitments towards building and improving infrastructure facilities to ensure health, education and connectivity across the country, the President said all these require a large corpus of well-trained engineers and technologists and technology carries with itself the immense power to bring about revolutionary changes.
On the declining research facilities in the country, she said, “Research facilities in our universities need to be reinforced. Universities must become centres of research and advance research responding to the requirements of society and various economic sectors such as agriculture and industry.” (ANI)
- Patil conferred honorary doctorate of literature degree - Sep 23, 2008
- Patil calls for united stand against terrorism (Lead) - Sep 23, 2008
- PAU to confer honorary degree on Tajikistan president - Aug 27, 2012
- Tripura varsity confers honorary doctorate on Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- AMU to confer doctorate on Manmohan, Sonia - Dec 22, 2009
- Tripura varsity to confer doctorate on Sheikh Hasina - Dec 21, 2011
- IGNOU to honour Dalai Lama - Aug 25, 2011
- President Patil says terrorist incidents are attack on national ethos - Oct 12, 2008
- Lucknow University to confer degree on eminent nuclear scientist - Dec 31, 2009
- Odisha entrepreneur conferred honorary doctorate in Taiwan - Jun 11, 2012
- What happened to PM's honorary degree? - Jul 28, 2011
- Protect, improve traditional knowledge of northeast India: Patil - Sep 25, 2010
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Jamia to confer Doctor of Letters degree to Dalai Lama - Nov 22, 2010
- Amity University honours Yoga guru Baba Ramdev - Jan 17, 2010
Tags: advance research, combating terrorism, communal harmony, communal hatred, convocation address, delhi police, economic sectors, fighting terrorism, honoris, immense power, infrastructure facilities, misguided youth, peaceful society, police inspector, president pratibha patil, revolutionary changes, rich tributes, sectarian hatred, society president, youth of the nation