No Friday curfew in Srinagar after six weeksNovember 12th, 2010 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 12 (IANS) For the first time in six weeks, no curfew was imposed in the Old City areas of Srinagar to allow Friday prayers at the Jamia mosque, officials said.
“No curfew has been imposed anywhere in Srinagar city today (Friday). The decision follows the overall improvement in the law and order situation in the Kashmir Valley,” a police officer said here.
Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, who heads the moderate faction of the Hurriyat Conference, last week convened a meeting of local Ulemas who expressed serious concern at the administration’s decision to consecutively impose curfew in the Old City Nowhatta area of Srinagar that restrained people from offering congregational Friday prayers at the Jamia mosque.
The Mirwaiz delivers his weekly sermons at the Jamia mosque during Friday prayers.
Traditionally, the Old City areas of Srinagar are seen as the political bastions of the Mirwaiz family, a majority of whose supporters live in these densely populated areas.
In the early 1990s, the Old City areas had become a stronghold of separatist guerrillas who carried out attacks on security forces in these areas.
- Kashmir locals help police in chasing militants - Aug 25, 2012
- Mirwaiz under house arrest in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2011
- People anguished at Maulana Showkat's murder: Mirwaiz - Apr 22, 2011
- Curfew in parts of Srinagar following Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Geelani to intensify stir ahead of Obama's India visit - Oct 30, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Srinagar after Mirwaiz assault - Nov 26, 2010
- Autonomy no solution to Kashmir problem: Mirwaiz Farooq - Aug 13, 2010
- Separatist shutdown, official curbs mar Srinagar life - May 21, 2012
- Mirwaiz warns of serious fallout if Afzal is hanged - Aug 12, 2011
- Mirwaiz Umer condemns efforts to trigger sectarian strife - Apr 27, 2012
- No plans to construct motorable road to Amarnath shrine: Kashmir - Aug 19, 2012
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent Muharram procession - Dec 17, 2010
- Stones pelted at Mirwaiz Umer in Sopore - Dec 16, 2011
- Curfew in Srinagar areas to prevent protests - Oct 26, 2010
- Restrictions in Srinagar to foil separatist march - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: bastions, city areas, curfew, early 1990s, faction, farooq, hurriyat conference, jamia mosque, kashmir, kashmir valley, law and order, mosque officials, police officer, prayers, security forces, separatist guerrillas, sermons, six weeks, srinagar city, stronghold