‘No artificial Shivling at Amarnath’June 26th, 2011 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 26 (IANS) The Shri Amarnath Shrine Board is against the idea of installing an artificial Shivling at the cave shrine if and when the naturally made stalagmite of ice melts.
The melting usually happens by July 15 both because of summer heat and the huge rush of pilgrims.
An idea was floated some years ago that a Shivling made of milky white marble be installed for the sake of pilgrims who trek long distances but are often disappointed.
But the board, according to informed sources, is not in favour of anything artificial.
“People visit the (Amarnath) shrine for a glimpse of the natural Shivling, not an artificial one. God wants natural things, why should we interfere,” a board official told IANS.
The temple is located at a height of 13,500 feet above sea level. Temple officials say this year’s Shivling is 11 feet high.
The Amarnath pilgrimage is to start June 29 and conclude Aug 13.
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Annual Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 02, 2012
- Over 200,000 pilgrims visit Amarnath Shrine - Jul 10, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 520,000 pilgrims already - Amarnath set for a record - Jul 22, 2011
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- First Amarnath prayers offered, not at shrine (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Hindu groups to view route to Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2011
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrims court risks for a glimpse of Shiva - Jul 04, 2011
- 'Amarnath yatra duration as per religious tradition' - Apr 15, 2012
- 16 Amarnath devotees killed as truck falls into gorge (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: amarnath shrine, favour, feet above sea level, glimpse, jammu, june 29, long distances, marble, one god, pilgrimage, pilgrims, rush, sake, shivling, shri, shrine board, stalagmite, summer heat, trek