Nitish Kumar demands CBI inquiry into Rahul encounter case in MumbaiOctober 28th, 2008 - 7:04 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, Oct 28 (ANI): Janata Dal (United) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today demanded a CBI inquiry into the killing of Rahul Raj in Mumbai in a police encounter on Monday.
Kumar visited Rahul’’s residence today in Bihars Patna. He was accompanied by Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi and Bihar National Democratic Alliance (NDA) convenor and Health Minister Nandkishore Yadav.
While talking to reporters at the slain youth’’s residence in Patna, Kumar said, “The Bihar Government and the people of the state share the view that a CBI inquiry is necessary to bring out the truth. After all, why a young man carrying a country made pistol, who could have been easily overpowered, was shot dead by the police? The people of the state have every right to know the truth.”
Kumar also advised the people of Bihar, particularly the youth to exercise restraint and not allow divisive elements like Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) leader Raj Thackeray to succeed in their evil designs.
Answering to a question on an article published in Shiv Sena mouthpiece ”Samna”, in which Rahul was reportedly described as a ”Bihari mafia”, Kumar said “no words are adequate to denounce it. A young man, who had recently completed a diploma in radiology and wanted to pursue a decent career, cannot be described as mafia.”
On Monday, Rahul, who allegedly tried to take passengers hostage in a state transport bus in Mumbais suburban Kurla, was killed by police in a shoot-out.
Police said that Rahul died in exchange of fire with police after attempts to persuade him to surrender failed.
Rahul had entered a private bus in the Bail bazaar area around 9.00 a.m. and threatened conductor and passengers with a revolver.
Later, while talking to reporters, the conductor said that Rahul wanted to kill Raj Thackeray, the chief of MNS, which is fuelling anti-immigrant rhetoric in the state.
On October 19, MNS activists had attacked north Indian railway job aspirants in Mumbai prompting calls for Thackeray’’s arrest and for the party to be banned.
Thackeray was arrested on October 21 for rioting and provoking attacks on migrants. His arrest sparked protests in Maharashtra and a backlash on migrants across the country.
However, on October 22, Thackeray was given bail in Mumbai after spending a night in jail. (ANI)
- Will attend Bihar Day in Mumbai, stresses Nitish - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray publicity-hungry: Nitish Kumar - Sep 02, 2012
- Lalu's RJD backs Nitish on Bihar Day in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray drops protest against Bihar Day event - Apr 13, 2012
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- Samajwadi Party files complaint against Raj Thackeray - Aug 22, 2012
- Raj Thackeray again attacks north Indian migrants - Jul 18, 2011
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Mayawati flays Raj Thackeray for remarks on migrants - Jul 15, 2011
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- Raj Thackeray gets bail - Feb 05, 2011
- Rahul Raj cremated amid tight security in Patna - Oct 29, 2008
Tags: bihar government, bihari, cbi inquiry, convenor, deputy chief minister, evil designs, health minister, janata, kurla, mns, mouthpiece, national democratic alliance, patna, police encounter, private bus, raj thackeray, samna, state share, sushil kumar, transport bus