Nishant indigenous Air Vehicle tested successfullyApril 6th, 2009 - 4:40 pm ICT by ANI
Kolar, Apr. 6 (ANI): A World War II abandoned runway in Veerapura village near Kolar witnessed another historic event when the Nishant indigenous engine Unmanned Air Vehicle took its test flight from here.
The indigenous powering engine, a wankel Rotary type was original project of VRDE, Ahmednagar. It was later jointly designed and developed by NAL, a CSIR lab, VRDE, Ahmednagar and ADE, Bangalore.
The first flight took off on March 31 and climbed to an altitude of 1.8 Kilometers effortlessly before cruising for 35 minutes.
The air vehicle was recovered safely at the intended place in dried up Muduvadi.
The Wankel engine is first of its kind totally designed and developed in the country.
Very few countries in the world have the capability to develop and master this technology. The provisional flight clearance for the first indigenous prototype engine was given by the certifying agency, RCMA in a short ceremony held at the launch pad.
The engine weighs about 30 Kilograms, and is known for its high power to Weight ratio in single rotor category.
This indigenous engine is expected to replace the present imported engine of Nishant.
The engine has a power of 55 hp and can also be used for powering smaller air vehicles, automotive, Out Board Motors, and Industrial applications.
It was the first time when a UAV was flown with an indigenous engine.
NISHANT is a reconnaissance UAV which has completed its user trials with Indian Army and is in the verge of handing over few of these air vehicles to Indian Army very shortly. (ANI)
- Maiden flight of indigenous UAV - Apr 05, 2009
- DRDO's UAV 'Nishant' completes confirmatory flight trials - Feb 03, 2011
- Nishant UAV successfully tested by army ahead of induction - Feb 03, 2011
- India test-flies Nishant drone with new technology - Oct 29, 2010
- Indigenous Rustom UAV completes successful fifth flight - Nov 11, 2011
- Mahindra's maiden aircraft completes successful test flight - Sep 14, 2011
- Unmanned aircraft flown by DRDO at Kolar - Oct 29, 2010
- Indian Army buying 20 mini-UAVs for Kashmir - Aug 29, 2012
- Pilotless target aircraft Lakshya-II successfully tested - Jan 27, 2012
- Indian-run New Zealand firm designs UAV for cloud seeding - Mar 26, 2012
- India's new test range for weapons trials goes operational - Dec 15, 2010
- UAV ''NISHANT'' to be handed over to Indian Army soon - Feb 12, 2009
- India begins feasibility study on 90-seater civilian aircraft - May 27, 2010
- India to develop unmanned combat aerial vehicle - Nov 25, 2009
- India to design, develop aircraft for feeder service - May 08, 2010
Tags: ade, ahmednagar, air vehicles, first flight, flight clearance, indian army, industrial applications, kilograms, launch pad, original project, power to weight ratio, prototype engine, rcma, rotary type, rotor, test flight, uav, unmanned air vehicle, wankel engine, world war ii