Nirmala Venkatesh criticises Govt. for sacking her over Mangalore pub probeMarch 2nd, 2009 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Mar 2 (ANI): Former National Commission for Women (NCW) member Nirmala Venkatesh, on Monday critisised the government for sacking her over the Mangalore pub attack probe.
Addressing a press conference here, Venkatesh defended her controversial report on the pub attacks, which had blamed the pub owners for not providing safety to women guests and recommended suspension of its license.
“So many cases were investigated by the one-member committee. I can take suo moto action. I have the quasi-judicial power and can take suo motu action as per the NCW Act,” she said.
She also lashed out at the Union Minister for Women and Child Development Renuka Chowdhary for saying she had no legal knowledge.
Venkatesh was sacked on February 27 for failing to conduct an unbiased enquiry.
Her report on the attack was not accepted by the Commission due to several inadequacies.
She was also criticised for going public with her findings before submitting it to the Government.
After rejecting the report, the Women and Child Development Ministry has ordered another inquiry into the Mangalore incident perpetrated by the Sri Ram Sene. (ANI)
- Nirmala Vankatesh slams Renuka for NCW sack (Lead) - Mar 02, 2009
- Sacked Nirmala Venkatesh joins BJP - Mar 05, 2009
- It is a 'political conspiracy', says sacked NCW member - Mar 02, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhury sacks NCW member over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- NCW member gets notice over Mangalore pub probe - Feb 06, 2009
- NCW member sacked over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- Nirmala Venkatesh was a flaw in the system: Renuka Chowdhury - Feb 28, 2009
- NCW rejects report on Mangalore pub attack - Feb 06, 2009
- Mangalore pub attack victims stay away from ministry team (Lead) - Feb 01, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhury sends team to probe Mangalore pub incident - Feb 01, 2009
- Mangalore incident triggers war of words in women's commission - Feb 03, 2009
- Sacked NCW member Nirmala Vankatesh joins BJP - Mar 05, 2009
- NCW, ministry reject member's report on Mangalore pub attack (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2009
- Women and Child Ministry to probe Mangalore attack case - Feb 01, 2009
- Renuka's ministry blames Mangalore pub attack on administration - Feb 06, 2009
Tags: child development, chowdhary, controversial report, development ministry, enquiry, inadequacies, judicial power, legal knowledge, member committee, moto action, pub owners, sri ram, union minister