Nine Taliban militants killed in AfghanistanDecember 30th, 2008 - 6:22 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Dec 30 (DPA) Afghan police backed by Nato troops killed nine Taliban militants in a fight in southern Afghanistan, police said Tuesday.The militants were killed in Nawa district of the Hemland province after they attacked an Afghan police checkpoint in the area Monday, Assadullah Shirzad, provincial police chief, said.
Nato-led British troops stationed in the province rushed to the scene of the battle and engaged the militants, Shirzad said, adding that there were no casualties among the Afghan police or Nato forces.
Shirzad said the combined forces recovered the militants’ bodies along with their AK-47 rifles and rocket-propelled grenade launchers.
The Taliban said in a statement posted on their website that only three of their fighters were killed and another three wounded.
The statement said 19 British soldiers were killed and several others were wounded. The Taliban often give different accounts of their clashes with the combined forces. In many cases their information is proven to be exaggerated or falsified.
Southern Helmand province, which has a long border with Pakistan, has been the main hub for Taliban activities. The province witnessed the fiercest battle between the insurgents and British-led international forces in the region this year.
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012
- Blasts rock Kabul as security forces fight Taliban (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 39 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 13, 2010
- Kabul fighting over - Apr 16, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Five US, British soldiers killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- Seven Taliban killed, 18 held in Afghanistan - Feb 12, 2012
- 100 militants killed in Afghan operation - Jul 23, 2011
- Six NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Aug 11, 2012
- 30 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 02, 2012
- Security forces rescue 27 Afghans illegaly imprisoned and tortured in secret Taliban prison - Aug 19, 2010
- 20 Taliban militants killed - Jun 24, 2012