Nine persons lose vision after cataract surgery in Tamil NaduDecember 16th, 2009 - 9:47 pm ICT by ANI
Dharampur (Tamil Nadu), Dec.16 (ANI): At least nine patients lost their eyesight following cataract surgery in a private hospital in Dharapuram town of Tamil Nadu state.
About 23 patients had to be admitted in city’s Ludhran eye care hospital for cataract surgery, a private hospital run by a Christian missionary, out of which nine patients complained loss of vision following severe viral infection, inflammation and redness in the eyes.
The victims included five women and a 23-year-old youth.
“I had come here with vision problem and I was advised to get a small operation to insert lens. I agreed for it but after the operation I realized that I lost my eye sight,” said Kalaimmal, one of the victims.
The surgery was conducted successfully on rest of the patients. They were discharged after administering a few eye drops and medicines.
Hospital officials said that the incident had happened due to viral infection in the medicine and eyes.
“Because of the infection, which was informed in micro biological lab, it was totally carried infection of an eye and infection of bacteria of medicine…we have taken appropriate step to control one of the infections of bacteria in the eyes of the particular nine patients and they have been now recovered but are still under expert’s guidance and services of the medical treatment,” said Benjaman Jayaraj, Administrative Officer, Ludhran Eye Hospital.
Police, however, has registered a case of negligence against the hospital and launched an official probe into the botched up surgeries. (ANI)
- Nine go blind after operation in Andhra - May 27, 2012
- Tamil Nadu: Government shuts down eye hospital following blinds - Dec 17, 2009
- Five people lose sight after surgery in Andhra - Dec 15, 2011
- Cataract surgery improves mood, sleep in Alzheimer's - Oct 26, 2011
- 13 more blinded after cataract surgery - Oct 16, 2011
- 10 lose eyesight after surgery, Andhra orders probe (Lead) - Oct 26, 2009
- Andhra Government vows to take action in eye camp blinding incident - Oct 26, 2009
- 10 lose eyesight after surgery, Andhra orders probe (Second Lead) - Oct 26, 2009
- Murder at health camp, say blinded patients - Oct 17, 2011
- Chhattisgarh denies three dead after operation - Oct 20, 2011
- Andhra orders probe as 10 lose sight after surgery - Oct 26, 2009
- 22 complain of blurred vision after surgery in free camp - Feb 09, 2009
- Eye problem cases have increased, say doctors - Oct 12, 2011
- 22 complain of blurred vision after surgery in free camp (Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- 45 blinded: Congress seeks Rs.2 mn for each victim - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: administrative officer, bacteria, cataract surgery, eye care, eye drops, eye hospital, eye sight, eyesight, five women, guidance, hospital officials, inflammation, loss of vision, medical treatment, medicine, medicines, negligence, private hospital, viral infection, vision problem