Nine injured in clash over setting up of Korean steel plant in OrissaMay 16th, 2010 - 4:07 pm ICT by ANI
Jagatsinghpur (Orissa), May 16 (ANI): At least nine people, including six policemen, were injured in a clash in Orissa’s Jagatsinghpur District as violence flared over a planned steel plant of South Korea’s POSCO.
The clash took place as the villagers were opposing the planned 12 million-tonne-capacity steel plant by the world’s number four steel-maker.
Security personnel resorted to firing teargas shells and rubber bullets to disperse hundreds of villagers, who had gathered at the project site, preventing access to the site to company and government officials.
The police also charged a makeshift camp of the Communist-backed agitators of the POSCO Pratirodh Sangram Samiti.
Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, however, said the district administration was in negotiation with agitated villagers to urge them to not indulge in violence.
“The district administration is negotiating with the local people to clear the road, not to put any hurdle on the road. We believe in peaceful industrialization in our state and that no one should indulge in violence,” said Naveen Patnaik.
POSCO signed a memorandum of understanding in June 2005 for the plant, which was to be built in three phases by 2016, with production scheduled to begin by the end of 2011 upon completion of the first phase.
The making of this world-class steelworks with 12 million tons per annum will not only provide extensive value addition to the mineral wealth of Orissa, but also take the state and nation to the zenith of global industry. (ANI)
- Thousands of Orissa villagers rally against Posco nod - Feb 01, 2011
- Anti-POSCO leader held - Nov 26, 2011
- barricades are up again at Posco site - Feb 03, 2011
- POSCO project: Supporters, protesters hold rival meets - Mar 13, 2011
- Posco's $12 bn Orissa project gets conditional nod (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Odisha ex-lawmaker held for Posco violence - Dec 24, 2011
- Political parties to support anti-POSCO movement - Mar 01, 2011
- Orissa villagers observe 'Black Day' to protest Posco pact - Jun 22, 2011
- Probe sought into killing near Posco project site - Dec 15, 2011
- Patnaik welcomes clearance for Posco project - Jan 31, 2011
- Anti-displacement group protests nod to POSCO - Jan 31, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik to talk with anti-POSCO leaders - Jun 12, 2010
- Land acquisition for Posco to resume despite protest - May 08, 2011
- Arrest of anti-Posco leader triggers tension - Nov 27, 2011
- Two held for attacking Orissa officials - Jun 02, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,