NHRC to seek CBI enquiry into Tehelka expose on Gujarat riotsNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:32 am ICT by admin
The Commission’s directive comes after it viewed the tape sent by the electronic channel, which was broadcast on October 25, 2007.
“The allegations had far-reaching implications and raised vital constitutional issues, which need to be promptly addressed in the interest of all,” the Commission said.
The Gujarat government has been directed to communicate its consent for CBI investigation of the authenticity of the tapes and the allegations made therein to the Central government and the Commission within two weeks, the release said.
“If the investigation does not substantiate the allegations, it will help to clear the air,” the Commission said, adding that “If, however, the allegations are found true after investigation, appropriate corrective action will have to be taken,”.
Tehelka recently aired a sting operation, claiming that the 2002 massacre of Muslims in Gujarat were carried out “with the knowledge and sanction of Chief Minister Narendra Modi.”
As per the programme “Operation Kalank” many State functionaries of Gujarat were accused of abetting and facilitating atrocities on the minority in the wake of Godhara violence in 2002. (ANI)
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Court begins trial against Jaya Jaitley in defence deal - Apr 20, 2012
- Bangaru Laxman sentenced to four years' jail (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Court stays order to provide Tehelka report to Fernandes - Jul 22, 2011
- Court refuses to stop Bangaru Laxman's trial for graft - Aug 30, 2010
- Jaya Jaitley allowed to retain passport - Jul 12, 2012
- Court frames charges against Jaya Jaitley in 'defence deal' - Mar 05, 2012
- Court notice to CBI on Jaya Jaitly's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for taking bribe (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to Gujarat on Bhatt's plea - Nov 11, 2011
- Fresh setback for Modi, probe ordered into more fake shootouts (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Jaitley moves court to retain passport - Jul 02, 2012
- BJP distances itself from Bangaru, Congress welcomes verdict (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Court quashes trial of scribes in cash-for-query sting (Lead) - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: allegations, atrocities, cbi, central government, chief minister, communal violence, constitutional issues, corrective action, electronic channel, gujarat government, human rights commission, investigation, narendra modi, national human rights commission, nhrc, riots, sting operation, substantiate, tehelka