NHRC notice to Maharashtra Government on MNS activitiesOctober 23rd, 2008 - 4:17 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 23 (ANI): The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) issued a notice to the Maharashtra Government after having taken the suo-motu cognizance of the incidents of attack on north Indian aspirants for railway jobs by the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
The Commission has asked the state Chief Secretary and Director General of Police to submit their reports within two weeks.
The Commission said the media report highlighted the attack by the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena on aspirants for employment in the Railways and its demand that only Maharashtrians be recruited to fill vacancies in Central and Western Railways.
It has been alleged that the party chief Raj Thackeray has abetted the crime by instigating his party workers to violence repeatedly.
In February this year, the MNS workers went on rampage in Pune and Nashik over jobs but the Maharashtra Government allegedly failed to tackle the situation.
Later, a section of the MNS activists damaged a large number of educational institutions in the Pune. About a month ago, the MNS supporters again entered in a row over cine actor-turned-MP Jaya Bachchan ””preferring to speak”” in Hindi at a music launch in Mumbai.
The NHRC notice said that it raised serious issue of human rights violation of the citizens of the country. (ANI)
- Maharashtra rapped for failure to protect migrants - Mar 18, 2010
- MNS names candidates - with marks! - Jan 29, 2012
- NHRC issues notices to Maharashtra top cop, chief secretary - Oct 22, 2008
- NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra Govt.on MNS activities - Oct 22, 2008
- Scheme for children under rights panel's lens - Jul 29, 2011
- MNS to help Maharashtrian youths with railway exam - Feb 02, 2011
- Why are children dying of malnutrition, asks rights panel - Dec 27, 2010
- Jharkhand issued notice on child labour - Apr 06, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
- Punjab bans use of cancer causing pesticides in Malwa - Apr 21, 2012
- NHRC urged to help woman who tried to end life - Apr 29, 2012
- Rights panel notice to Delhi over injured boy - Feb 13, 2012
- Uphold dignity of women, Delhi Police told - Mar 16, 2011
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
- NHRC notice to Haryana on abandoned baby girls - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: chief secretary, cognizance, director general, educational institutions, human rights commission, human rights violation, jaya bachchan, maharashtra government, maharashtra navnirman sena, mns, music launch, nashik, national human rights commission, nhrc, party chief, pune, raj thackeray, rampage, state chief, western railways