NHRC issues notice to Assam government on communal clashesOctober 14th, 2008 - 5:47 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct.14 (ANI): The National Human Rights Commission today issued a notice to the Government of Assam to explain the cause for the communal clashes between immigrant Muslims and Bodo tribe at Rowta in the Udalguri and Darrang districts of North Assam, which led to the deaths of 30 people.
It also sought an explanation from the Assam Government on the displacement of over 70,000 persons from more than 25 villages in both the districts.
Taking a suo-motu cognizance of a press report, the NHRC has issued a notice to the Chief Secretary and Director General Police of Assam calling for a factual report in the matter within four weeks.
The Commission said if the contents of the press report are true, then these raise serious issue of violation of human rights of the victims.
The Commission is also sending its Investigation Team to the affected areas to study the situation in relief camps. The team has been asked to submit a report to the Commission within two weeks. (ANI)
- NHRC takes up lynching of truck driver near Agra - Sep 21, 2011
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh over attack on Swami Agnivesh - Mar 30, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to UP government - Jul 25, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Orissa - Jul 27, 2011
- NHRC asks Bihar for report on students' thrashing - Jul 19, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Haryana on child's death - Feb 29, 2012
- Woman delivers on road in Odisha, NHRC issues notice - Apr 12, 2012
- NHRC seeks report on Assam violence - Aug 01, 2012
- Scheme for children under rights panel's lens - Jul 29, 2011
- Jharkhand issued notice on child labour - Apr 06, 2011
- Rights panel pulls up Uttar Pradesh cops - Mar 15, 2011
- Uphold dignity of women, Delhi Police told - Mar 16, 2011
- Rights panel notice to Delhi over injured boy - Feb 13, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Gujarat Govt. over students walking on cinders incident - May 11, 2010
- NHRC pulls up Haryana Police over gunfight deaths - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: assam government, chief secretary, cognizance, communal clashes, deaths, displacement, factual report, human rights commission, investigation team, muslims, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, relief camps, tribe, violation of human rights