Next Satanic Verses to be published next month despite Islamist pressureSeptember 4th, 2008 - 12:57 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sep 4 (ANI): The racy, historical novel about the Prophet Mohammad and his child bride, will be released next month by its new publisher Gibson Square after Random House fearing that the book could incite acts of violence and anger Muslims refused to publish it.
Sherry Jones controversial work, The Jewel of Medina, will be released in Great Britain next month by Gibson Square, said companys director Martin Rynja.
Shes written about a beautiful subject and shes written about it in a way that shows nothing but the greatest respect for the Muslim religion. If such a book cannot be published then were back in the dark ages, Rynja said.
The book would be published in the United States, though details of those plans werent immediately clear, FOX News reported.
Random House last month decided to postpone Jones book indefinitely just weeks before its scheduled release date because of fears of violent reaction by Islamic extremists.
Considered a rare case of self-censorship in the US, Random House said it made its decision after consulting with security experts and scholars of Islam.
Jones said Random House broke her contract after paying her a 100,000 dollar advance and allowing her to seek another publisher.
Gibson Square would not say how much it had paid to acquire the rights to The Jewel of Medina.
We made a compelling offer but its not just about the money. Its about the publishing program you put together - that you publish it well and allow the author to get her point across in best possible way, Rynja said, adding, It was one of the highest advance we”ve paid here for a book. (ANI)
- Islamic fundamentalists jailed for trying to set ablaze publisher's house in London - Jul 08, 2009
- Islamic extremists warn of more reprisals if book on prophet is published - Sep 29, 2008
- Yale nixes publication of Muhammad cartoons in new book fearing violence - Aug 14, 2009
- Trio charged for attacking home of publisher of controversial Prophet Mohamad book - Oct 03, 2008
- Prophets child bride book may not be published in Britain following firebombing - Oct 02, 2008
- UK launch of controversial Prophet Mohammed novel postponed - Oct 10, 2008
- Attempt of Islamic extremists to kill the publisher of book on Prophet foiled - Sep 28, 2008
- Rushdie slams publisher for dropping ''next Satanic Verses'' under Islamist pressure - Aug 15, 2008
- US academic dubs new book on Prophet Mohammed "softcore pornography" - Sep 30, 2008
- Book on `child bride of Prophet Mohamed shelved - Aug 09, 2008
- Obama writes children's book - Sep 14, 2010
- Book based on Muhammad''s child bride not to be published - Aug 20, 2008
- Woman taken to court for stealing a pumpkin - Feb 20, 2012
- Anti-colonialism, corruption dominate weekend bookshelf (IANS Books) - Aug 18, 2012
- Book banning helps fundamentalists: Taslima Nasreen (Interview) - Feb 28, 2012