Newsweek lists UP CM Mayawati among world`s top eight women leadersNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:16 am ICT by admin
The BSP, she said, initially needed an aggressive approach to rally the poor Dalits.
“Political parties dominated by upper castes got alarmed by the rising masses. Their opposition cut short each of my first four stints as Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and it became clear we needed to broaden the base to include the poor irrespective of caste or religion,” she added.
She organized village-level amity meetings for the poor irrespective of caste or religion.
“Our efforts were met with calumny, attacks and lawsuits, but we struggled on, and prevailed in elections this May. For the first time in 17 years, a majority government led by a Dalit is in place in Uttar Pradesh,” she adds.
Apart from Mayawati, others who write their success story include CEO of the French Energy Conglomerate Areva Anne Lauvergeon and Director General of World Health Organization Margaret Chan. (ANI with inputs)
- Mayawati: Will her garland turn into noose? (Comment) - Mar 20, 2010
- I hold master key to power, thunders Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Will Mayawati's magic work in 2012? Pundits doubtful - Jan 31, 2012
- Mayawati seeks reservation for upper caste poor - Sep 18, 2011
- Mayawati readies for first appearance after poll debacle - Apr 14, 2012
- Mayawati will become UP CM again, says survey by politicsparty.com - Jan 24, 2011
- Maya stokes Jat fire in west UP - Feb 22, 2012
- Mayawati dedicates 484 welfare schemes to Kanshi Ram - Oct 09, 2011
- Mayawati's attacks out of desperation: Congress - Dec 18, 2011
- Mayawati hits out at Congress for Khurshid's remarks - Feb 11, 2012
- Dalit icon Mayawati is focus of scholar's research - Feb 14, 2011
- Mayawati could be jailed for corruption: Uma Bharti - Nov 28, 2011
- Rahul's rally politically motivated: Mayawati - Jul 09, 2011
- BSP fields more upper castes, Muslims in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 15, 2012
- Will Meira Kumar be Congress' surprise choice? (Comment) - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: aggressive approach, areva, assembly elections, bahujan samaj party, calumny, caste, chief minister, dalit, dalits, majority government, margaret chan, newsweek, party chief, rainbow coalition, religion, stints, upper castes, uttar pradesh, women leaders, world health organization