Newly elected members take oath in ParliamentJune 2nd, 2009 - 6:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 2 (ANI): The Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day on Tuesday after the completion of oath-taking ceremony of the newly elected members.
The House will meet on Wednesday for the election of the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker.
Senior Congress leader Meira Kumar filed her nomination for the post of Lok Sabha Speaker.
Earlier in the day, Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Varun Gandhi took oath as the members of the 15th Lok Sabha.
Among other prominent members, who took oath were Mulayam Singh Yadav, Kalyan Singh, BJP president Rajnath Singh, Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) chief Ajit Singh, former Union Ministers T R Baalu and Maneka Gandhi.
Former cricket skipper and Congress candidate Mohammad Azharuddin also took oath.
Film stars-turned-politicians who took oath were Samajwadi Party’s Jayaprada and Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam’s K Sivakumar (Riteesh).
All nine MPs of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) took oath in the name of god, while all from the DMK solemnly affirmed their oath.
President Pratibha Patil will address the joint parliamentary session of both Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha on June 4, which would chart out the road map of the second term of the Manmohan Singh Government.
After the President’s address, the House would discuss and pass the motion of thanks to the President.
Lok Sabha will have seven sittings while the Rajya Sabha would commence its session from June 4.
The session would conclude on June 9. (ANI)
- Rahul, Varun Gandhi take oath as LS members - Jun 02, 2009
- With Lucknow in mind, Ajit Singh gets civil aviation (Roundup) - Dec 18, 2011
- Ajit Singh sworn-in as cabinet minister (Second Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Ajit Singh sworn-in union minister (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Ajit Singh sworn-in union minister - Dec 18, 2011
- RLD joins hands with Congress for Uttar Pradesh polls - Dec 11, 2011
- PMK to be part of the DMK-Congress alliance in Tamil Nadu: - Jan 30, 2011
- 2G scam: Left parties to meet President Patil over Parliament deadlock - Nov 29, 2010
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Youth Congress workers protest against Tamil Nadu Congress chief in Chennai - Apr 16, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi, cousin Varun among those taking oath Tuesday - Jun 02, 2009
- Murli Manohar Joshi to submit PAC report to Lok Sabha Speaker - Apr 30, 2011
- 2G scam: BJP sticks to JPC demand - Nov 30, 2010
- Joshi expects Lok Sabha Speaker will table draft PAC report in Parliament - Apr 30, 2011
- Speaker's meeting raises hope for women's quota bill - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: ajit singh, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp president, congress candidate, congress leader, dravida munnetra kazhagam, jayaprada, kalyan singh, Lok Sabha, maneka gandhi, manmohan singh, meira kumar, mohammad azharuddin, mulayam singh yadav, president pratibha patil, rahul gandhi, rajnath singh, rajya sabha, varun gandhi