Newly constituted Maharashtra Govt. holds first cabinet meeting in MumbaiNovember 8th, 2009 - 8:22 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Nov 8(ANI): The first meeting of the newly constituted Maharashtra Government was held under the Chairmanship of Chief Minister Ashok Chavan here on Sunday.
Ending a 16-day stalemate, the Congress party and its ally Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) formed the new Government on Saturday, where Chavan along with 37 other cabinet ministers were administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor S C Jamir at the Raj Bhawan.
Addressing the media on the first day’s meet, NCP’s Mumbai unit President Sachin Ahir, said: “We had a good round of discussion in the first meeting of the cabinet and issues regarding the state were primarily discussed.”
“The meeting took place in a healthy environment and youngsters like us got a lot to learn from it. We hope the new cabinet will solve people’s problem and the pending issues of the State,” Ahir added. Earlier in the day, Chavan and Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal visited Buddhist monument, Chaityabhoomi, to take the blessings of Dr. B R Ambedkar.
The new Government has 18 ministers from the Congress party and 20 from the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP).
The alliance won 144 out of 288 seats in the October 13 assembly polls, whereas the main opposition alliance secured 90 seats, Shiv Sena got 44 and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) 46. (ANI)
- New Maha CM, deputy CM visit Chaityabhoomi to take Ambedkar's blessings - Nov 08, 2009
- Congress, NCP ally to dislodge saffron combine from BMC - Jan 11, 2012
- Congress-NCP alliance forms government in Maharashtra for the second time - Nov 07, 2009
- Prithviraj Chavan sworn in Maharashtra chief minister (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Ajit Pawar is Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Ajit Pawar will be Maharashtra deputy chief minister - Nov 10, 2010
- Jostling for cabinet berths in Mumbai ahead of swearing-in - Nov 11, 2010
- Maharashtra governor fails to break Congress-NCP deadlock (Lead) - Nov 03, 2009
- Bhujbal meets Maharashtra Governor over Government formation - Nov 03, 2009
- Ashok Chavan sworn in Maharashtra chief minister - Nov 07, 2009
- New Maharashtra cabinet to be sworn in Saturday, says Chavan - Nov 06, 2009
- Ajit Pawar denies rift with former Maharashtra Deputy CM Bhujbal - Nov 11, 2010
- Maharashtra's new ministers to be sworn in Saturday (Lead) - Nov 06, 2009
- Ajit Pawar to be new Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Congress, NCP working towards pre-poll alliance in Goa - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: ashok, assembly polls, buddhist monument, cabinet meeting, cabinet ministers, chairmanship, deputy chief minister, first meeting, healthy environment, jamir, meeting took place, nationalist congress party, ncp, new cabinet, oath of office, opposition alliance, raj bhawan, sachin ahir, sena, stalemate