New Zealand students go on a virtual tour to AntarcticaNovember 24th, 2008 - 1:09 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Nov 24 (ANI): Students in New Zealand are experiencing Antarctica from the comfort of their classrooms, thanks to virtual field trips provided to them by two explorers.
According to a report in stuff.co.nz, Christchurch-based Learnz team members Darren Atkin and Charmaine Nelson are at Scott Base in Antarctica for two weeks to film and photograph the great southern continent, taking New Zealand children on a virtual field trip.
The explorers hold live audio conferences with schools twice a day and upload diaries, videos and photographs on to their website each night.
Nelson and Atkin have taken the students across the sea ice, down dive holes in the ice and on Antarctic field training to experience camping out in a polar tent and building shelters from snow.
I think its the fact that theyre talking to experts down there, actually experiencing it. That means more to the pupils than going to a website or reading a book, its a lot more of a genuine experience for them, said Jo Dudley, a teacher from Ilam School in Christchurch.
The images and video they send back blow you away, she added.
Pupils can ask questions via audio and video conferences, with queries also being answered on a web board with help from experts at Scott Base.
Nelson, who has worked in environmental education, said it had been a blast taking students down virtually.
According to Atkin, it had been great seeing how science has to meet the challenges of working in such an extreme environment, and being able to introduce students to the people here. (ANI)
- 100-year-old whisky to benefit Antarctic Heritage Trust - Apr 05, 2011
- Vijay Mallya 'hand-carries century old bottles of whisky to Glasgow' - Jan 15, 2011
- Underwater robot to explore ice-covered ocean in Antarctica - Oct 14, 2010
- Caring robot to keep Kiwi elderly entertained - Feb 07, 2011
- Mountain rescuer killed in Californian expedition - Jan 22, 2012
- Century-old Scotch Extricated From Ice-covered Crate - Aug 15, 2010
- Shocked Kiwis rally for Aussie game - Feb 23, 2011
- Massive valley found beneath Antarctica - Jul 27, 2012
- Three die when South Korean vessel catches fire near Antarctica - Jan 12, 2012
- Virtual classroom solution, location-based mobile service get Microsoft awards - Jun 07, 2012
- Kiwi firm to make personal jet packs - Feb 25, 2010
- New Atkins diet unhealthy, says Kiwi dietician - Apr 05, 2010
- New Zealand plane makes Antarctic rescue mission - Sep 14, 2010
- New digital map reveals more secrets about Antarctica - Dec 16, 2011
- Bangalore whizkid wins YouTube science contest - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: atkin, audio conferences, charmaine, dudley, environmental education, explorers, extreme environment, genuine experience, pupils, reading a book, sea ice, southern continent, stuff co nz, team members, video conferences, virtual field trip, virtual field trips, virtual tour, web board, zealand students