New Pension Scheme has just 1109 takersAugust 11th, 2009 - 4:44 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Aug. 11 (ANI): The lack of awareness about the New Pension System (NPS) has resulted in only 1,109 subscribers applying for it by July 31. The Pension Fund Regulatory Development Authority (PFRDA) rolled out the NPS for all citizens from May 1.
“Initially, when NPS for the private sector was launched, we expected it to grow at a slow pace but it grew at a much lesser pace than expected,” ICICI Prudential Pension Fund Management Director-on-Board, Tarun Chugh, told reporters here.
ICICI Prudential Pension Fund Management, which has 49 branches, collected 218 forms, the highest among all 22 POPs.
He added that the lack of tax-benefits for NPS is one of the major reasons for it not picking up.
“At the time of retirement one can withdraw 33 per cent of the contribution and the rest 67 per cent is used for annuity, which is taxed. There should not be any tax at the time of withdrawal,” Chugh said.
UTI Asset Management Company Chief Marketing Officer Jaydeep Bhattacharaya, said: “Pension is a push-based product. Lack of adequate provisions to push NPS makes its penetration low.”
“Eighty seven per cent of India’s workforce does not have a pension plan. There is a need to make them aware about the pension plans.
“As the cost structure of NPS is higher than mutual fund products, it (NPS) needs to find a way to reduce the cost structure,” Bhattacharaya added.
Citing no tax benefits on NPS as the main reasons for a low number of people joining the system, an official from another pension fund manager said: “People should feel the necessity to join NPS, which can be generated by giving them adequate tax incentives.” (ANI)
- Norms for registering pension fund managers revised - Jul 12, 2012
- Alankit Group to provide services to New Pension System subscribers - Mar 19, 2010
- UTI Mutual Fund targets one crore investors - Jul 13, 2011
- Nothing new for insurance sector: Experts - Feb 28, 2011
- Old age security scheme for informal sector workers - Aug 09, 2010
- Reliance Capital gets regulator's nod to sell stakes to Nippon Life - Jun 13, 2012
- Cabinet clears Direct Tax Code Bill - Aug 26, 2010
- Budget allocates Rs.100 crore to New Pension Scheme - Feb 26, 2010
- It is a status quo budget with routine announcements: Insurance sector (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- New Pension Scheme launched in India for all citizens - May 01, 2009
- Insurers bank on marketing to beat new pension scheme - May 01, 2009
- Reliance Mutual ranks No.1 in profitability - Oct 04, 2011
- New pension system to be offered to more segments - Jul 02, 2009
- 7 mn unorganised sector workers to get pensions - Apr 12, 2012
- Insurance, pension amendment bills to be introduced - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: adequate provisions, annuity, asset management company, chief marketing, chugh, eighty seven, lack of awareness, management director, mutual fund products, nps, pension fund management, pension fund manager, pension plan, pension scheme, pension system, prudential, regulatory development, slow pace, tarun, tax incentives