New Pakistan Government plans to release all political prisonersMarch 13th, 2008 - 6:18 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Mar 13 (ANI): A senior Pakistan Peoples Party leader has said that the new Pakistan Government plans to pardon all political prisoners after it assumes charge of the administration.
The Government has decided to make a general amnesty plan to release political prisoners, a senior PPP leader told the Daily Times.
Dozens of workers and leaders from Balochistan and Sindh were reportedly picked up by secret agencies. Some of them were facing high treason charges and languishing in jails, he said.
Prominent workers among them are Baloch nationalists Sardar Akhtar Mengal, Habib Jalib, Senator Sanaullah Baloch and Dr Safdar Sarki, a Sindhi nationalist.
All the three major partners in the would-be government Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and Awami National Party have been demanding the release of all political prisoners and to end the military operations in Balochistan and FATA. The Government also plans to resolve the missing persons issue, said the PPP leader.
In an elected members meeting on February 26, the party had passed a unanimous resolution apologising for the atrocities and injustices committed against the Baloch.
Although coalition parties have to yet come up with a plan, he said all of them agreed that political detainees should be released to create a better atmosphere for national reconciliation. (ANI)
- BNP accuses Pak govt. of killing Baloch activists - Aug 01, 2010
- 'Katil bhi aur investigator ek,' says Akhtar Mengal - Jul 15, 2010
- Gilani orders inquiry over Baloch leader's murder amidst massive criticism - Jul 15, 2010
- Demonstration in UK over murder of Baloch leader - Jul 28, 2010
- Baloch, Sindhi expatriates protest before UK PM's residence - Jul 26, 2010
- BNP demands UN probe over Habib Baloch's assassination - Jul 20, 2010
- HR council condemns murder of Baloch politician's relatives by Pak Army - Dec 03, 2010
- Baloch leaders call withdrawal of cases against nationalist leaders 'cosmetic effort' - Dec 10, 2009
- Baloch rights body condemns brutal killing of Sindhi leaders - Apr 23, 2011
- Another BNP leader killed in Balochistan - Jul 20, 2010
- Pak spy agencies involved in over one thousand murder cases in Balochistan: Report - Mar 22, 2011
- Pak police claim senior Balochistan National Party leader's killers' arrest - Aug 14, 2010
- Gilani appeals to Baloch leaders to end their exile - May 08, 2010
- Senior Balochistan National Party leader killed in Quetta - Jul 14, 2010
- 16 die in Balochistan target killings (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
Tags: apologising, awami national party, balochistan, coalition parties, habib jalib, high treason, major partners, mengal, national reconciliation, pakistan government, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pakistan peoples party, party leader, political detainees, political prisoners, ppp pakistan, safdar, treason charges, unanimous resolution