New Delhi feels the ripples of Lankan imbroglioApril 29th, 2009 - 6:42 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 29 (ANI): Human rights activists, including church leaders, on Wednesday staged a protest here against the ongoing ethnic war in Sri Lanka.
The protestors appealed to both the Indian and Sri Lankan Governments to establish peace in the island nation.
“We are now organising one-day fast in protest against the atrocities happening in Sri Lanka against Tamils. We demand the Indian and Sri Lankan Governments to immediately establish peace in Sri Lanka, and stop the war and give relief to the Tamils, who are affected by the war,” said P Mohan Larbeer, general convener of Ecumenical Christian Forum for Human Rights, a protesting organization.
Diplomatic pressure over the war had boiled over the past week with the UN Security Council, the United States and others demanding Sri Lanka stop its offensive and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) surrender to avert rising civilian casualties.
Meanwhile, the Indian Army and Navy have stepped up their vigil to prevent an infiltration bid by LTTE cadres.
Disclosing this, Vice Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Noble Thamburaj, who was attending a seminar on ‘Combating Climate Change by Management of Ozone Depleting Substance’, said the Indian Army and Navy have foiled a number of infiltration bids.As for the LTTE entering India, Lt. General Thamburaj said both the Indian Navy and the Coast Guard are on high alert along the Coast.
Lt. General Thamburaj also said army personnel were supplementing naval efforts. (ANI)
- Human rights body protests atrocities on Lankan Tamils - Apr 05, 2012
- Army, Navy on alert to foil LTTE entry: Vice Army Chief - Apr 29, 2009
- Army, navy on high alert to prevent LTTE infiltration - Apr 29, 2009
- Tamil Nadu fishermen protest against killings by Lankan navy - Jan 27, 2011
- Indian MPs slam Sri Lanka for 'war crimes' (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- 'Aug 12 meet to focus on welfare of Sri Lankan Tamils' - Jul 16, 2012
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Indian government betrayed Sri Lankan Tamils: Raja - Aug 25, 2011
- Tamil activists accuse Lankan Army of purchasing, making landmine parts - Jan 25, 2011
- Rajapaksa wants to discuss targeting of Sri Lankans with India - Sep 07, 2012
- Fisherman killing: India registers formal complaint with Sri Lanka - Jan 13, 2011
- Fisherman death: India summons Sri Lankan envoy - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: army and navy, army personnel, army staff, chief of army, christian forum, civilian casualties, combating climate change, diplomatic pressure, ethnic war, human rights activists, imbroglio, indian army, indian navy, island nation, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, lieutenant general, lt general, tamils, vice chief, war in sri lanka