Nepal strike cripples vehicular traffic in SiliguriJune 7th, 2009 - 12:49 pm ICT by ANI
Siliguri, June 7 (ANI): A shutdown by Maoists in Nepal to protest over their demand for the sacking of Army Chief General Rookmangud Katawal, crippled normal life in Siliguri on Saturday as trucks got stranded at the border.
Movement of vehicular traffic along the Indo-Nepal borders was suspended. Trucks carrying perishable items were also stranded.
“Vehicles are allowed to enter India from the Nepal side. We now face a lot of problems staying here as there no facilities for proper food, water,” said Balwinder Singh, a truck driver.
However to avoid any kind of tensions on the Indian part, the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) an Indian para-military outfit is on alert on the border.
“SSB has taken adequate security measures. Side by side police and local administration has been informed about the situation and they are also looking at it,” said S. Karmakar, SSB, officer. (ANI)
- Three more SSB battalions to to be deployed on Nepal border - Aug 30, 2011
- Three Chinese held for photographing troopers' camps - Jan 18, 2011
- Three Nepali women held with cannabis - Sep 13, 2011
- Three troopers arrested in Bihar - May 27, 2012
- Arrested Chinese sent to 10-day judicial remand - Jan 21, 2011
- Y. S. Dadwal takes charge as Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal - Nov 11, 2010
- Indian forces on high alert on borders with Nepal - May 04, 2009
- Indian trooper shot at from across Nepal border - Feb 18, 2011
- Suicides increase in paramilitary forces - Aug 08, 2012
- India vigilant in Siliguri in West Bengal - May 06, 2009
- Two Nepali women nabbed with cannabis - Dec 25, 2010
- Nepali woman nabbed with drugs in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 29, 2010
- Bihar CM orders probe in Sitamarhi shooting incident (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Cop killed over cooking row - Jul 25, 2011
- Security forces on high alert ahead of Bengal polls - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: adequate security measures, army chief, border movement, borders, chief general, cripples, India, indo nepal, karmakar, local administration, maoists in nepal, nepal side, proper food, sashastra seema bal, siliguri, ssb, tensions, trucks, vehicular traffic