Nepal and India to inspect Koshi repair worksJune 11th, 2009 - 2:39 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, June 11 (ANI): The Government teams of Nepal and India are to carry out joint inspection of the repair works at the damaged Koshi embankment on Thursday.
Bijendra Prasad Yadav, Minister of Water Resources, Government of Bihar, Indian Ambassador to Nepal Rakesh Sood, Ajay Nayak, principal at the Bihar state government’s Department of Water Resources, Mahendra B. Gurung, Director General of Department of Water Induced Disaster Prevention and Anil Kumar Pokharel, Deputy DG, Department of Irrigation, Government of Nepal will inspect the Koshi Breach Closure works.
They will also hold interaction with the media after the site visit.
The government teams are setting out for the visit following news reports of false claims from the Indian contractors that the repair works had completed.Tens of thousands of people had been displaced in Morang and Sunsari districts after the breach in the Koshi embankment triggered massive floods last year.
Koshi floods had also displaced Indians of Arariya, Supoul, Baguwan, Basanpur, Dumarwana, Dhurna and other parts of Bihar state that have come to Sunsari and Morang districts.
Under a treaty signed between India and Nepal in 1954, India assumed responsibility for constructing, operating and maintaining the Koshi project for the benefits of controlling floods in monsoon and receiving water for irrigation during winter. However, the Bihar government has been repeatedly drawing flak in Nepal over shoddy maintenance while India claims Nepal’s government failed to provide security to its inspection teams. (ANI)
- India satisfied with Koshi repair works - Jun 12, 2009
- Koshi embankment repairs start today - Aug 29, 2008
- Nepal on vigil as rains lash 'Bihar's sorrow' Kosi - Jun 30, 2011
- Bihar minister inspects Kosi embankment repair in Nepal - Jun 11, 2009
- Fear of floods haunts Bihar - Jul 13, 2010
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- India keeps close watch on Kosi, `Bihar's sorrow' - Jul 26, 2010
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- India suggests high dam over Kosi, invites Nepal minister - Jul 12, 2009
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- KMSS to launch stir over non-repair of embankments - Jul 20, 2012
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Flood deaths rise to 15 in Nepal - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: bihar government, bihar state, dg, director general, disaster prevention, embankment, flak, government of nepal, government teams, gurung, india claims, indian ambassador, irrigation, kathmandu, mahendra, massive floods, monsoon, morang, rakesh sood, water resources