Need for early conclusion of investment promotion issue with Nigeria: Anand SharmaMarch 16th, 2011 - 6:10 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 16 (ANI) Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma today expressed for an early conclusion of Bilateral Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (BIPPA) with Nigeria.
During the bilateral meeting with Henry Odien Ajumogobia, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Federal Republic of Nigeria here, Shrama said: “The complementarities of Nigerian and Indian economies needs to be harnessed for more extensive bilateral engagement.”
He informed the Nigerian Minister about the many Indian companies’ investments in Nigeria and added that some more Indian companies are keenly interested in areas such as power and petroleum.
Sharma expressed satisfaction over the growing trade and investment between the both countries.
He said that there has been growth of bilateral trade by 61.65 per cent in 2010 as compared to 2009.
He further said that the total Indian investment in Nigeria during 2010 is estimated to be around five billion dollars and total FDI from Nigeria during April 2000 to December 2010 is 6.49 million dollars.
There are over 100 Indian companies present in Nigeria mainly in telecom, hydrocarbons, textiles, chemicals, electrical equipment, pharmaceuticals, plastics, IT and autos sectors. Indian automobile companies have significant presence in Nigeria.
Major Items of export are: machinery and instruments, drugs, pharma and fine chemicals, transport equipments, electronic goods, manufactures of metals and major items of import are: petroleum, crude and products, non-ferrous metals, wood and wood products and cashew nuts. (ANI)
- India-Nigeria trade to reach $12 billion - Mar 16, 2011
- India seeks more oil, enhanced economic ties with Nigeria - Mar 16, 2011
- Reform-focussed Nigeria seeks Indian capital in energy, banking (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2011
- Nigerian pushes for direct flights to India as trade booms (Interview with foreign minister) - Mar 17, 2011
- India keen to set up fertiliser plants in Saudi Arabia - Nov 26, 2010
- India sees greater trade with Ethiopia thanks to tariff pact (With Image) - Dec 02, 2010
- India, Nigeria to boost ties, discuss UN reforms (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- India and Russia committed to boost bilateral cooperation says Anand Sharma - Feb 16, 2010
- Nigeria, India to renew air services agreement - May 04, 2011
- Nigerian foreign minister coming on four-day visit - Mar 14, 2011
- India seeks more crude oil imports from Nigeria - Mar 16, 2011
- India, Nigeria to boost economic, energy ties - Mar 15, 2011
- India to build stronger trade, economic ties with Brazil: Anand Sharma - Mar 08, 2011
- India, Nigeria to strengthen economic ties - Mar 17, 2011
- UAE keen on hightech cooperation with India - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: anand sharma, automobile companies, bilateral investment, bilateral trade, cashew nuts, commerce minister, electronic goods, fdi, federal republic of nigeria, fine chemicals, five billion, indian automobile, indian investment, investment promotion, minister of foreign affairs, nigerian minister, non ferrous metals, odien, republic of nigeria, transport equipments