NDA will make multi-purpose ID cards mandatory for citizens: AdvaniMarch 14th, 2009 - 10:52 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, March 14 (ANI): Senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader and prime ministerial candidate Lal Krishan Advani on Saturday said that the National Democratic Alliance would enact multi-purpose national identity cards mandatory for citizens of the country, if voted to power.
Citing security being the main concern behind the need to make national identity cards mandatory, Advani pointed out the increasing infiltration of Bangladeshi nationals into the country, particularly in the northeast, as he unveiled the IT Vision Document of the party for the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Advani said that there were an estimated two crore (20 million) Bangladeshi immigrants staying illegally in the country and stressed upon the necessity of having national identity cards for citizens.
National identity card is the key promise of the IT Vision Document, Advani said.
Advani noted that the Supreme Court had admonished the government for not taking enough steps for tackling the issue of illegal Bangladeshi immigrants. (ANI)
- NDA proposes multi-purpose ID cards mandatory - Mar 14, 2009
- Assam violence unprecedented, government to blame: Advani (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- UID can be security risk, warns BJP - Jan 21, 2012
- Advani blames Bangladeshi immigrants for Assam violence (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Bangladeshi held in Delhi for human trafficking - Aug 24, 2010
- Centre to blame for Assam violence: Advani - Aug 08, 2012
- PM calls Advani's remark disgraceful, Sonia agitated (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Crime trail leads to illegal Bangladeshi immigrants, 140 deported - May 26, 2011
- Fence entire Bangladesh border, opposition says (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Fence entire Bangladesh border, opposition says - Aug 08, 2012
- Apex court strongly backs citizen identity cards - Jan 15, 2009
- BJP promises to check illegal immigrants with ID cards - Apr 07, 2009
- BJP preparing vision document on highways in northeast - Jul 12, 2010
- Vote bank politics shields illegal Bangladeshis: Court (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Advani blames Bangladeshi immigrants for Assam violence - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: advani, bharatiya janata party, citizens, immigrants, infiltration, krishan, lal, lok sabha elections, multi purpose, national democratic alliance, national identity card, national identity cards, nationals, New Delhi, party leader, prime ministerial candidate, supreme court, vision document