NDA cadets to sail Tarangini at high seasSeptember 12th, 2008 - 9:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 12 (ANI): A sailing expedition by the officers and cadets of National Defence Academy (NDA), to a few Indian Ocean Region countries on board a Sail Training Ship ”Tarangini” is scheduled to take place from September 21 to November 24.
The INS Tarangini, the Indian Navy’’s Sail Training Barque, will be used for this expedition. It is custom-built for sail training of officers and cadets. Built at the Goa Shipyard Limited, Vasco da Gama, Tarangini is the only sailing ship to be commissioned into the Indian Navy on 11 November 1997, and is based at Kochi under Southern Naval Command.
The ship is built for long voyages and can be deployed at sea continuously for a period of over 20 days. She is 54 metres long and carries 18 sails with a sail area of almost 1000 square metres.
The sailing expedition will provide the cadets an opportunity to interact with officers and cadets of other countries and also go a long away in projecting the ethos of this great institution.
It will also provide them an ideal platform to gain first hand experience of the vagaries at sea and foster character virtues of courage, comradeship and endurance.
INS Tarangini would be flagged off for the sailing expedition by Vice Admiral S.K. Damle AVSM, NM, VSM the Flag Officer Commanding in Chief Southern Naval Command from Kochi on September 21.
The ship will visit the ports of Salalah ( Oman ), Port Victoria ( Seychelles ), Male ( Maldives ) and Colombo ( Sri Lanka ) before culminating at Kochi on November 24. She will traverse a distance of 4900 nautical miles in 65 days.
Two officers and 60 cadets in two groups will take part in the expedition. These cadets shall undergo a training capsule for one week duration on board the ship prior to setting sail for the voyage. One officer and 30 cadets will undertake first half of the voyage from Kochi till Seychelles, where they will be replaced by the second batch of cadets who will sail rest of the voyage.
Major General B.S. Grewal, Deputy Commandant and CI of the Academy shall be accompanying the cadets in the last leg of the voyage from Colombo to Kochi . (ANI)
- Indian Navy inducts second sail training ship - Jan 27, 2012
- Celebrating India-ASEAN ties on high seas - Sep 14, 2012
- NDA cadets to embark on international sailing expedition - Sep 12, 2008
- 44 NCC cadets on 600-km ocean sailing expedition (With Images) - Jan 25, 2012
- Indian warships wrap up China visit - Jun 19, 2012
- President reviews naval fleet (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- Indian warships to sail through South China Sea - May 04, 2012
- MV Prabhu Daya enroute to Chennai, missing man rescued - Mar 05, 2012
- Donde wants his round-the-world trip boat to sail on - Sep 17, 2011
- President to review Indian Navy fleet next month - Nov 22, 2011
- Chinese ship pays goodwill visit to Canada - Jun 27, 2012
- Chinese warship Shenzhen to dock at Kochi port on Friday - Aug 06, 2009
- Indian Navy inducts Italian-built fleet tanker (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- India flags maritime troubles with China at meet with Japan - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: barque, colombo sri lanka, comradeship, flag officer, indian navy, indian ocean region, ins tarangini, kochi, national defence academy, naval command, port victoria, sail training, sailing expedition, sailing ship, salalah oman, setting sail, square metres, training ship, vasco da gama, vice admiral