Navy inducts stealth destroyer INS KochiSeptember 18th, 2009 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
Kochi, Sep 18 (ANI): The Indian Navy today inducted a stealth destroyer of Kolkata class, INS Kochi, to boost its maritime capabilities and safeguard India’s interests.
Madhulika Verma wife of Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma, named the second of the three Project 15-A stealth destroyers on September 18.
Mazagon Docks Ltd in Mumbai built the 6500-ton ship, named INS Kochi.
The ship has advanced stealth features, which make it less vulnerable to detection by enemy radar and will be fitted with state-of-the-art weapon systems which include the supersonic BrahMos surface-to-surface missile, the LRSAM Long Range Surface-to-Air Missiles and the MFStar multi-function radar system providing accurate data on surface and air targets.
In addition, four AK-630 rapid-fire guns and a medium range gun will boost the ship’s close-range defence capability.
The ships will also be fitted with indigenously developed twin-tube torpedo launchers and anti-submarine rocket launchers.
The NPOL developed Humsa-NG hull-mounted sonar, and two multi-role helicopters adding punch to the ship’s anti-submarine capability. The maximum speed of the ship is above 30 Knots.
The destroyer will be launched using the pontoon-assisted launch technique, to be employed for the first time in the history of indigenous warship building.
This technique helps in overcoming slipway/ draft constraints and permits launching of heavier vessels. (ANI)
- Navy to induct stealth destroyer INS Kochi on Sep.18 - Sep 16, 2009
- India's third indigenous stealth frigate commissioning July 21 - Jun 25, 2012
- Antony to commission Indian-built warship Saturday - Jul 20, 2012
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Indian Navy launches home-built stealth destroyer (With Images) - Sep 18, 2009
- India launches second home-built stealth warship (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Armed forces bracing for a 'hot summer', says Antony - Apr 01, 2010
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni-I missile (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Russia to lay down diesel submarine - Aug 17, 2012
- Brand new Indian Navy with long legs by 2027: Admiral Verma - Dec 02, 2011
- India launches its first anti-submarine corvette - Apr 19, 2010
- Antony witnesses Indian Navy's battle readiness exercise - Feb 08, 2012
- India to build 10 indigenous stealth frigates in 10 years - Apr 21, 2010
- India's indigenous stealth frigate INS Shivalik to be commissioned today - Apr 29, 2010
- Indigenous INS Shivalik, a step towards making of a blue-water navy - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: accurate data, air targets, close range, defence capability, enemy radar, fire guns, indian navy, mazagon, medium range, naval staff, radar system, range gun, rocket launchers, stealth features, surface to air, surface to air missiles, surface to surface missile, twin tube, warship, weapon systems